It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:19 pm Advanced search

Aluminum build up

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Re: Aluminum build up

Postby bosulli » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Did an impulse purchase of a basic set of carbide burs on Amazon, before I the post on special aluminum burs that had coarser flutes. I did follow the Sutton Tools link. But they redirected me to the North American site, which did not have the aluminum burs. I'll see how the finer cut amazon burs do, then order 1 cylindrical aluminum bur.

Thanks guys for the replies. I can always count on weldingtipsandtricks.com to bail me out.
bosulli

Postby weldin mike 27 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 pm

They'll be out there somewhere. I like to google search images, and then back track to a website once you have found a picture of what you want
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby Skylineauto » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Before I used the right stone for doing aluminum i would get it to the point it is in the picture then use a old file or something sharp and dress off the built up aluminum.
Skylineauto
Workhorse

Postby Keith_J » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:07 am

Soak the stone in ammonia to remove the aluminum. Old slivers of bar soap work great to keep the aluminum from loading too bad. Better than wax even. Works on burrs too. Soap is a salt of fatty acids and sodium so it is aggressive to aluminum plus it has a higher melting point.
Keith_J
Workhorse

Postby Otto Nobedder » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Keith_J wrote:Soak the stone in ammonia to remove the aluminum. Old slivers of bar soap work great to keep the aluminum from loading too bad. Better than wax even. Works on burrs too. Soap is a salt of fatty acids and sodium so it is aggressive to aluminum plus it has a higher melting point.

True. And I'll point out that Dial and Dove are NOT "soap", they're detergents. Ivory is soap.

Actual soap will say, "soap", while Dial, Irish Spring, Lever 2000, et. al. will say "bath bar" or some other nonsense.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby weldin mike 27 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm

While we are on the subject of soaps (and bars of chemicals) smear it on your wood screws to make screwing them in a bazillion times easier
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm

I use bee's wax for screws. Never thought about putting it on my stones for aluminum. But I'll probably try it now.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby WoodpeckerWelder » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm

At work we use Boelube on all of our abrasives for aluminum and all aluminum drill bits and burrs. It's hard at first but melts as the tools heat up. You can also apply it to the surface.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
WoodpeckerWelder
Workhorse

Postby LtBadd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:12 pm

WoodpeckerWelder wrote:At work we use Boelube on all of our abrasives for aluminum and all aluminum drill bits and burrs. It's hard at first but melts as the tools heat up. You can also apply it to the surface.

That is good stuff, we used that also for tapping.
Richard

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing...sounds boring to me
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Previous

Return to Metal Cutting