Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Lots of new members. We need to remind everyone of the "if you don't like it, don't watch it rule"
Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Very Neat project! Well Done! You definitely need to keep us posted on your progress
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I've been doing a few test pieces of SB to Stainless. I AM going to make a truncated icosahedron. My goal is to do the Hexagons in either SB or stainless and flip for the Pentagons. I have some 1/8 SB coming next week. I cut some 3/16 SB with a wood miter saw and carbide blade. It worked fairly well. At least all the pieces were identical. Here is the rough product of that. I still need to do some grinding and polishing. Maybe a weld touch up here and there. It weighs in now at 3 lb. 11 oz.
Attachments
SB.jpg
SB.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.

Very interesting, looking forward to more
Richard
Website
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Worked with ss most of my life and we always used a right angle 5 inch cutoff hand held or bigger Milwaukee and a piece of steel for a guide. Make a light score a couple times along your mark and the blade follows along just fine.
John Chamorro

Boy I'd sure like to give a positive and detailed update on my little project but there isn't one. I'm still trying to get the stainless hex pieces cut Identically. I can cut them close but close ain't good enough when doing a project with this many common edges. Needing 20 dead nuts identical pieces makes for 120 chances for something to not line up.
John Chamorro

WELL YAHOO!! After a long awaited step, I finally got my stainless cut on a CNC Plasma today! Next will be to machine cut the SB to match the CNC'ed stainless. I've been fooling with some templates and holding fixtures to use as a component setup. I'm still working on ideas for that. I do have quite a few ideas already that didn't work.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

John Chamorro wrote:WELL YAHOO!! After a long awaited step, I finally got my stainless cut on a CNC Plasma today! Next will be to machine cut the SB to match the CNC'ed stainless. I've been fooling with some templates and holding fixtures to use as a component setup. I'm still working on ideas for that. I do have quite a few ideas already that didn't work.
Thomas Edison's light bulb was the result of about 4000 things that didn't work...
John Chamorro

Otto Nobedder wrote:
John Chamorro wrote:I do have quite a few ideas already that didn't work.
Thomas Edison's light bulb was the result of about 4000 things that didn't work...
Mistakes were a lot cheaper then. :lol: If nothing else, I am persistent. I WILL make it. I now have all of my pieces cut. I have a couple setup ideas I'll try this weekend. It's supposed to rain today and snow on Sunday so I won't be outside playing.