Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Scottcambro
    Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Hello all. I've been peeking in from time to time learning much valuable info on welding from all you pros. So thanks in advance.
I have been waiting for a good deal on a good plasma cutter. I think I finally found it... but I'll see what you pros say.
Option 1: About 3 years old but new in the box Miller Spectrum 375 for $600.
Option 2: About 3 years old new in the box ESAB pcm 875.for $800.
I am just a small time hobby fabricator. Most of my projects are 1/2" or less but I hate having things under horsepowered.
Anyone with experience both good or bad for either machine would be greatly appreciated.
Reliability. Easy to use. Consumables lifespan and cost replacement.
Also how are the prices? Should I stay away from these and look for a hypertherm?
Thanks again!
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Both good quality units. The 375 is a low powered (27 amps) machine that can sever (slowly ) 3/8' or maybe 1/2", shines on 3/16" and thinner. It will run on 120 or 230 volt power, best results at 230 v. The PCM 875 is a 60 amp system with models available for single phase and 3 phase (be sure this one will run on single phase power before buying!)...it can cut 1/2" fairly easily and will sever (slowly) over an inch. I'd go with the PCM unit assuming it is single phase, heck of a deal for the price!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Scottcambro

Thank you Jim. Exactly what I was looking for.
Scottcambro

Does anyone know if the miller 375 has an onboard air compressor?
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I checked the Miller spectrum 375 X-Treme ( is this the same model? ) and it doesn't show a compressor. Still a heck of a deal -list was $1800 on sale for 1300 new. If you are looking for a built in compressor I can personally vouch for the hypertherm 30 Air as a great self contained portable machine. Good luck. :ugeek:
Scottcambro

Thanks homeboy. From what I found the Xtreme is the newer inverter machine. Similar I'm sure but also different.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I should clarify what I ment by heck of a deal. I was actually referring to the models you are looking at. My bad. :roll:
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

It does not have an onboard compressor. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Scottcambro wrote:Does anyone know if the miller 375 has an onboard air compressor?