It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 am Advanced search

For you machinists...

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

For you machinists...

Postby Otto Nobedder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:33 pm

You need to check out Clickspring (channel) on YouTube. Brilliant stuff, and his plans are free downloads if any of his projects (skeleton clock, or Antikythera Mechanism, anyone?) interest you.

Thanks to RocketSurgeon for turning me on to this guy.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Re: For you machinists...

Postby electrode » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:You need to check out Clickspring (channel) on YouTube. Brilliant stuff, and his plans are free downloads if any of his projects (skeleton clock, or Antikythera Mechanism, anyone?) interest you.

Thanks to RocketSurgeon for turning me on to this guy.

Steve S

Good channel although I am not into clock making but there are a few good things. I bookmarked it along with my other 130,000 bookmarks. :) Too many projects, not enough time. :lol:
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby Otto Nobedder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:47 pm

I had no doubt some of you were familiar, but we have some newer entrants to machining with new (or new-to-you) equipment looking for projects and knowledge, so I had to share this guy.

Also, horology interests me.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby LtBadd » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I had no doubt some of you were familiar, but we have some newer entrants to machining with new (or new-to-you) equipment looking for projects and knowledge, so I had to share this guy.

Steve S

does that include "space time"?

"Gravity as Curved Spacetime. ... Gravity feels strongest where spacetime is most curved, and it vanishes where spacetime is flat. This is the core of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is often summed up in words as follows: "matter tells spacetime how to curve, and curved spacetime tells matter how to move".
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 pm

When I first searched for "clickspring" this came up and looks like another good youtube channel to subscribe to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvCB3_KtSz0

I have all the stuff to make a fire piston in my project pile. :D
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby Otto Nobedder » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I had no doubt some of you were familiar, but we have some newer entrants to machining with new (or new-to-you) equipment looking for projects and knowledge, so I had to share this guy.

Steve S

"Gravity as Curved Spacetime. ... Gravity feels strongest where spacetime is most curved, and it vanishes where spacetime is flat. This is the core of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is often summed up in words as follows: "matter tells spacetime how to curve, and curved spacetime tells matter how to move".

I think Einstein got it wrong. Close, but wrong. I think the current crop of astrophysicists chasing intangible "dark matter" and "dark energy" support my theory.

The graphic representation of matter in space-time is a "fabric", curved by the presence of matter, like a bowling ball on a trampoline (as an easy analogy). This assumes, both graphically and in his math, that space-time is an infinitely compressible fluid.

Place that trampoline fabric on a swimming pool, edges sealed... The water then represents an incompressible fluid. Put your bowling ball in the middle, and you still get curved space-time around the ball. What do you get, displaced some distance from the ball? Fabric above the zero point, sloping away toward the edge. This neatly explains matter in the universe moving apart and accelerating, and also explains the Pioneer anomaly, which future missions did not adequately investigate.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
LtBadd wrote:

Steve S

I think Einstein got it wrong. Close, but wrong. I think the current crop of astrophysicists chasing intangible "dark matter" and "dark energy" support my theory.

The graphic representation of matter in space-time is a "fabric", curved by the presence of matter, like a bowling ball on a trampoline (as an easy analogy). This assumes, both graphically and in his math, that space-time is an infinitely compressible fluid.

Place that trampoline fabric on a swimming pool, edges sealed... The water then represents an incompressible fluid. Put your bowling ball in the middle, and you still get curved space-time around the ball. What do you get, displaced some distance from the ball? Fabric above the zero point, sloping away toward the edge. This neatly explains matter in the universe moving apart and accelerating, and also explains the Pioneer anomaly, which future missions did not adequately investigate.

Steve S

I am going to have to think about this...a lot, before I can comment. :ugeek:
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby Rupes » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Let me finish reading

Then I'm going to give this a crack and build one. Then I'll check out this space time thing.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rupes
Guide

Postby LtBadd » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Rupes wrote:Let me finish reading

Then I'm going to give this a crack and build one. Then I'll check out this space time thing.

send me the Cliffs notes :lol:
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby Rupes » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:19 pm

I watched a bit of Clickspring months ago from a suggestion on AVE's channel. Blew me away.

So many options and things to learn, so little time....
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rupes
Guide

Next

Return to Metal Cutting