Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
WVJay
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm

What are the differences between older plasma cutters and newer ones. I just purchased a {like new] Hobart Smoothcut 625 and was wandering if it was a good purchase or not. It cuts like a dream, but I was wandering about consumables and other possible upgrades like a new torch head if needed. Anyone out there with any experience willing to weigh in on this?

Jay
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi Jay,
If it works like a dream I would just use it as is. :) I have a older yet Miller Spectrum 2050 and looked into to up grading the torch but didn't think that the cost was worth it..

Pete
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

The differences are:

- More portable, more power, smaller package
- Longer consumable life
- Better cut quality, faster cut speeds, thicker severance capability (higher load voltage from power supply)
- Easier to use with torches that can drag cut without double arcing to the material.
- Better reliability.
- More styles of consumables, Finecut, High Access, Gouging, precision gouging, marking, Flushcut, etc.
- Variety of machine torch stsyles and hand torch styles for different applications (robotics, cnc machines, demolition, gouging, etc.)
- Less susceptible to moisture in compressed air and its effect on consumable life
- Operate on multi voltages (120/240, or units that can run on any voltage from 200 to 600 volts, single or three phase)
- Some units available with built in compressor.

I agree however that if your older technology unit meets your cutting needs....then their may not be a good reason to upgrade! Jim Colt Hypertherm
WVJay
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks Pete and Jim! I really appreciate the information! As I have already made the purchase, I will have to stick with what I have but, when the consumables wear out I will probably upgrade to a new machine rather than try to change what I have.

Jay