It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:41 pm Advanced search

Circular cuts count...right?

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Circular cuts count...right?

Postby MosquitoMoto » Fri May 05, 2017 10:30 pm

After making do with a cheap, rubbish benchtop drill press for years, (wobbly 13mm chuck, flaccid motor, minimum speed 625rpm) I have finally scored a decent, full sized pedestal drill press.

It's not an amazing brand but it's solid, has a stonking big motor and a 20mm Metabo keyless chuck, a good sized table and comes with a vice. Oh, and it steps down to around 300 rippums.

A defence sector shedding of equipment has led to this windfall at $150. I know, I know...you can no doubt get this sort of thing in 'Merica for $37, but out here in the colonies, this constitutes a bargain. Super happy.

Moz
MosquitoMoto
Weldmonger

Re: Circular cuts count...right?

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri May 05, 2017 11:38 pm

For $150, I'd be on that like a teenager on a drunk cheerleader.

Nice score.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:For $150, I'd be on that like a teenager on a drunk cheerleader.

Nice score.

Steve

That's an interesting analogy...

Where you pull those from Steve? Where the sun don't shine :lol: It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

As for the drill press-I've seen crappier go for more here so he got a pretty good deal. I guess the analogy Steve through wasn't so far off all things considered...
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby weldin mike 27 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Very very nice. My drill press changed my life. You'll probably find that that is a morse taper chuck as well, which means you can knock out the keyless chuck and put in a morse drill up to about 20mm
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby MosquitoMoto » Sat May 06, 2017 12:01 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Very very nice. My drill press changed my life. You'll probably find that that is a morse taper chuck as well, which means you can knock out the keyless chuck and put in a morse drill up to about 20mm

Thanks blokes.

Yet to get the drill into my hot little hands, but my brother sighted it and purchased it on my behalf and he is a far fussier man than me, so I'm confident it'll be great. In his words (pardon the botherly love) "This drill's way too expletive good for an expletive half-arsed bodger like you. I should keep the expletive thing for myself!"

As I get deeper into fabrication I find myself chasing more accuracy everywhere. This will help. Next on the list are a lathe and a mill.

Moz
MosquitoMoto
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 am

Interesting...you say your old drill's motor is "flaccid" and then you buy a new drill with the brand name of WOODMAN :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby weldin mike 27 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:45 am

If you bought it you could be Woodman Pounder.....
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 am

Nice press.

Quote,It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

That's a fixable problem!!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

Poland308 wrote:Nice press.

Quote,It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

That's a fixable problem!!

Some problems are not meant to be fixed-or at least not fixed by certain people
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Sat May 06, 2017 9:16 am

Nice find

Get yourself a set of clamping bars now that you have a t-slot table. Very handy when clamping stuff that won't fit in a vice.

Also very good on the welding table too.
IMG_20170506_11771.jpg
IMG_20170506_11771.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 533 times

Farmwelding wrote: It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

You can never have too many cheer leaders around you mate :mrgreen:
AndersK
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Metal Cutting