Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

After making do with a cheap, rubbish benchtop drill press for years, (wobbly 13mm chuck, flaccid motor, minimum speed 625rpm) I have finally scored a decent, full sized pedestal drill press.

It's not an amazing brand but it's solid, has a stonking big motor and a 20mm Metabo keyless chuck, a good sized table and comes with a vice. Oh, and it steps down to around 300 rippums.

A defence sector shedding of equipment has led to this windfall at $150. I know, I know...you can no doubt get this sort of thing in 'Merica for $37, but out here in the colonies, this constitutes a bargain. Super happy.

Moz
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For $150, I'd be on that like a teenager on a drunk cheerleader.

Nice score.

Steve
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:For $150, I'd be on that like a teenager on a drunk cheerleader.

Nice score.

Steve
That's an interesting analogy...

Where you pull those from Steve? Where the sun don't shine :lol: It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

As for the drill press-I've seen crappier go for more here so he got a pretty good deal. I guess the analogy Steve through wasn't so far off all things considered...
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Very very nice. My drill press changed my life. You'll probably find that that is a morse taper chuck as well, which means you can knock out the keyless chuck and put in a morse drill up to about 20mm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Very very nice. My drill press changed my life. You'll probably find that that is a morse taper chuck as well, which means you can knock out the keyless chuck and put in a morse drill up to about 20mm
Thanks blokes.

Yet to get the drill into my hot little hands, but my brother sighted it and purchased it on my behalf and he is a far fussier man than me, so I'm confident it'll be great. In his words (pardon the botherly love) "This drill's way too expletive good for an expletive half-arsed bodger like you. I should keep the expletive thing for myself!"

As I get deeper into fabrication I find myself chasing more accuracy everywhere. This will help. Next on the list are a lathe and a mill.

Moz
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Interesting...you say your old drill's motor is "flaccid" and then you buy a new drill with the brand name of WOODMAN :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

If you bought it you could be Woodman Pounder.....
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice press.

Quote,It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

That's a fixable problem!!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding

Poland308 wrote:Nice press.

Quote,It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter

That's a fixable problem!!
Some problems are not meant to be fixed-or at least not fixed by certain people
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Nice find

Get yourself a set of clamping bars now that you have a t-slot table. Very handy when clamping stuff that won't fit in a vice.

Also very good on the welding table too.
IMG_20170506_11771.jpg
IMG_20170506_11771.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Farmwelding wrote: It's a shame we have too many of those at our school...and no I have no experience in this matter
You can never have too many cheer leaders around you mate :mrgreen:
Poland308

Some problems are not meant to be fixed-or at least not fixed by certain people[/quote]

A perceived problem is not always a "Problem"

Josh

Love this forum...post regarding drill press becomes post about cheerleaders and...um...issues regarding them. Love it!

Good tip on the bars Anders...I'll go looking.

Moz

Still don't have the drill home (pick up is June 1st, its one of those defence things...) but have found some specs on it.

Woodman TP-2801F.

1.5hp motor, 12 speed, 20mm chuck, spindle taper MT3. Appears to be a superseded model but don't really care, looks like a solid piece of kit that'll do what I need it to do.

Pics and tear-down details to follow after pick up.

moz
Farmwelding

After a little diggin a lot of these go for $200-$300 so you did yourself well. It looks lie a pretty decent machine to as long as you don't hog crap through it
Nick
Poland308

Morse taper 3 will allow you to get large drill bits as well as some milling and boring tools.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Morse taper 3 will allow you to get large drill bits as well as some milling and boring tools.
I'm looking forward to that. Made me happy to see the 'MT3' spindle spec.

Can anyone recommend any type of X-Y axis drilling vice/rig that might allow me to do some very basic milling with this machine? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

Kym

mt 3 is good. you cant also get an adapt to make a rotorbroach fit your drill. this opens up a large abound of circular cut options.

For those with long memories...my drill press is now home, set up and has been working hard basically since the day it arrived.

It is a great piece of kit, in excellent condition and fits my needs perfectly. I really couldn't be happier. Don't know what I did without it.

Will post some pics as soon as I work out exactly how to do that without Photobucket...EDIT....okay, here's my drill nestled happily between my two band saws. :D

Moz
Attachments
IMG_20170610_172436883.jpg
IMG_20170610_172436883.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1997 times

Welcome back. Cut drill cut. All day long

weldin mike 27 wrote:Welcome back. Cut drill cut. All day long
You go that right, Mike.

Then spend half a day vacuuming the silver snow off the floor! :roll:

Moz

save the chips, I'm sure they'll come in handy sometime.