It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:38 am Advanced search

JD Squared - The Beast Tube Notcher

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

JD Squared - The Beast Tube Notcher

Postby Coolidge » Wed May 24, 2017 7:12 pm

This arrived recently, made in USA! Its every bit of the advertised 49 lbs. Pretty happy with it so far, it does need a fine adjustment modification for height, already purchased the parts for that at my local hardware store. Also gave TIG welding aluminum a first try...FAIL!

Coolidge
Guide

Re: JD Squared - The Beast Tube Notcher

Postby pgk » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm

At least now you have a sweet tubing notcher, just notch out another tube and keep practising those aluminum welds! lol What did you have to do for the height adjustment?

Pete
Esab SVI 300, Mig 4D wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3
pgk
Workhorse

Postby AndersK » Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Nice buy!

What's the red crap inside the tubing?
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby GreinTime » Wed May 31, 2017 1:36 am

I end with a dusting of red from the ceramic belts we use on the sander, could be same thing

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime
Weldmonger

Postby Coolidge » Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 am

That red coating is part of the 'bright finish' process I'm guessing. Bright finish aluminum tubing does NOT weld by the way, had to grind it off aggressively.
Coolidge
Guide

Postby Coolidge » Wed May 31, 2017 10:06 am

pgk wrote:At least now you have a sweet tubing notcher, just notch out another tube and keep practising those aluminum welds! lol What did you have to do for the height adjustment?

Pete

I'll post a picture later today, but kept it simple. Underneath the tube notcher part that raises and lowers for adjusting I drilled another hole in my work table and secured a long bolt to the table. Then I ran a nylon lock nut down the bolt and put a 2 inch steel spacer on top of it which pushes the notcher up/down by adjusting the nylon lock nut up/down.
Coolidge
Guide

Postby Warrenh » Wed May 31, 2017 12:09 pm

That is anodized aluminum and it does weld. No grinding needed. I like that notcher.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Warrenh
Workhorse

Postby Coolidge » Wed May 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Well it spit and sputtered and refused to puddle until I ground that bright finish off, then same settings (copied from a Jody video) it settled down and puddled. Maybe it needs more amps with that finish? I have 15 minutes experience TIG welding aluminum so keep that in mind. I wimped out by the way abandoned the aluminum and purchased some .035 wall stainless for that project. :oops:
Coolidge
Guide

Postby noddybrian » Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 pm

If it's anodized then it should weld but you have to blast it with every amp you have at least initially to get through it - I rarely use the stuff but several here do & will likely chime in - I do it as basically a series of spot welds with the machine flat out on a torch switch - don't use a pedal if I can help it - I hate the thing & it's never convenient unless seated at a bench - the king of anodized does'nt seem to post here now - shame I really liked his work - maybe he is still around & lurking ! I like the notcher - is it wrong to have notcher envy ?
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby Warrenh » Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 pm

I weld anodized every day. It takes about 180 amps to break through the anodizing. I use a east/west control. I will describe the process I use if anyone is interested. ImageImage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Warrenh
Workhorse

Next

Return to Metal Cutting