It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm Advanced search

Oxy/Acetylene Rig for All-Around Shop Use?

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Re: Oxy/Acetylene Rig for All-Around Shop Use?

Postby Poleframer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 pm

One point in favor of propane, if you run out of propane for yer BBQ, you got gas! Or vice versa.
Poleframer
Workhorse

Postby MinnesotaDave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Poleframer wrote:One point in favor of propane, if you run out of propane for yer BBQ, you got gas! Or vice versa.

Ha! I've done both of those :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby thatoneguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 am

I replaced my old crazy kit with the Victor Medalist 350. I went with the heavy duty but I honestly would have been fine with the medium duty kit. I absolutely LOVE the handle design and the all around build of this kit. it is really comfortable and easy to work with. I've used to for everything but welding so far and it is a really great setup.. Especialy for the price! My .02...
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy
Workhorse

Postby AndersK » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Except for the regulator, can a regular oxy-acetylene set be used with propane? No need for welding, just heat and bend use.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes. Some of the tip sizes i.e. Oriface size, will over lap. But for most things that won't matter.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:01 am

Thx, I'll be looking for a propane reg then.
I'm out of acetylene now but I don't have a contract on the bottle so they will take it back if I try to change it.
Don't use it often enough to justify the cost so oxygen propane looks like a better option.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby Louie1961 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 am

I believe you can use the same regulator. What you can't use is the same cutting tips. You must have cutting tips designed for the gas you want to use. And you want to make sure you use T rated hose otherwise the propane will degrade the R rated hose. To the OP, get a good kit from Smiths, Victor, Harris or ESAB (Purox, Oxweld). Don't buy Harbor Freight, anything Chinese made or anything that says Victory style or Harris style...those are knock offs. if you stick to the four mainstream brands, you will be fine. Purox and Oxweld are going the way of the dinosaur since ESAB bought Victor. The main concern is that your LWS has tips to sell you when you need them. That would be my biggest concern if I were you. I think you are best off going with acetylene at first. You never know if the bug to gas weld will hit you. Acetylene is certainly more versatile in the shop.
Hobart Handler 190
Syncrowave 250
Purox Metalmaster
Louie1961
Ace

Postby dgapilot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Years ago I picked up a set of Goss regulators. Must have been in the '70s. I've done lots of weld repairs on steel tube fuselages over the years and they have served me well. The Goss torch is ok but to big for most of what I do. I've got a WWII vintage Smith Airline that I use most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
dgapilot
Workhorse

Previous

Return to Metal Cutting