Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can't really weld with propane. It's great for heating and cutting.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I see now they have a thing called HGX propane which is nearly as hot as acetylene.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Poland308

From what I've read on welding steel with oxy is that it's more than just the heat input. Acetylene and oxy burn in a way that acts like a shielding gas as you weld. But propane and oxy create a hydrogen rich environment that can make the welds prone to cracks.

Josh

I just like the idea of more heat, whether I can weld with it or not.
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

Tho I agree with dave that oxy/propane would fill 90% of shop needs, I think it would benefit you to start with oxy/acet. A bit hotter, and you can learn to weld with it, and have an easier time brazing.
Even if there's a mig, tig, stick, and plasma box, no shop is complete without a basic oxy torch in it, so versatile, a tool ya just need once you are used to having it.
Dont get fancy, just get a basic cutting torch, and a couple welding tips, and a rosebud if you feel adventurous.
If you do go the propane route, go ahead and make a propane forge burner, there are plans on iforgeiron, or I could point you the way, sure is nice to be able to get a chunk of iron red hot in a hurry in a simple brick forge, and reshape it.

I am somewhat drawn to acetylene for the same reason I got a Harley. I am interested in seeing what the old-fashioned technology is like. When I got my Harley, people said a Japanese V-twin or a Victory would be mechanically superior. No doubt about that, but you would never know what it was like to ride the real thing.

I've always said that "I've never regretted the money I spent on good tools", and I definitely feel that way about acetylene over propane. I've worked a couple places where oxy/propane was mandated by the beancounters. Everybody cussed it for being "cold", and we spent more time per cut than we would have with oxy/acetylene. To me, propane is a false economy, and especially in a home shop where you just might decide to weld or braze something. Obviously, from some of the other posts, some of the folks here prefer propane. That's the beauty of what we do -- there's always more than one way to get the job done.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ldbtx wrote:I've always said that "I've never regretted the money I spent on good tools", and I definitely feel that way about acetylene over propane. I've worked a couple places where oxy/propane was mandated by the beancounters. Everybody cussed it for being "cold", and we spent more time per cut than we would have with oxy/acetylene. To me, propane is a false economy, and especially in a home shop where you just might decide to weld or braze something. Obviously, from some of the other posts, some of the folks here prefer propane. That's the beauty of what we do -- there's always more than one way to get the job done.
As far as economy goes, there is a reason scrappers use propane instead of acetylene - that's when I first switched, right after my first tank of acetylene while scrapping.

A little demonstration from Harris torches:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1VrdLaMLqq

Screen shot from the video:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 5888 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poleframer

School me if I'm wrong, it seemed to me, no actual numbers, that it took a lot more oxy for cutting with propane than acet when I was using it. Granted, propane is way cheaper than acet, but I got a drive to town, then hopefully my lws (Valley hitch and Muffler!) has the oxy bottle I need (he will give me whatever size he has on hand, good guy), and when I averaged out the cost, a faster cut with acet cut my oxy use considerably, and I have a 250(?) and a 150cf oxy tanks. But then also have a 25 gallon tank of propane for forging work.
Just seems like propane/oxy burned way more oxy, and for the amount of cutting I do I prefered acet.

Poleframer wrote:School me if I'm wrong, it seemed to me, no actual numbers, that it took a lot more oxy for cutting with propane than acet when I was using it. Granted, propane is way cheaper than acet, but I got a drive to town, then hopefully my lws (Valley hitch and Muffler!) has the oxy bottle I need (he will give me whatever size he has on hand, good guy), and when I averaged out the cost, a faster cut with acet cut my oxy use considerably, and I have a 250(?) and a 150cf oxy tanks. But then also have a 25 gallon tank of propane for forging work.
Just seems like propane/oxy burned way more oxy, and for the amount of cutting I do I prefered acet.
Yes, oxygen use is higher, cost still works out in favor of propane.
In the above video and pic you'll see they were comparing the same cutting speed.
This is because the oxygen does the cutting, not the fuel gas.

Preference is a different issue however and we all like what we like :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poleframer

One point in favor of propane, if you run out of propane for yer BBQ, you got gas! Or vice versa.

Poleframer wrote:One point in favor of propane, if you run out of propane for yer BBQ, you got gas! Or vice versa.
Ha! I've done both of those :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I replaced my old crazy kit with the Victor Medalist 350. I went with the heavy duty but I honestly would have been fine with the medium duty kit. I absolutely LOVE the handle design and the all around build of this kit. it is really comfortable and easy to work with. I've used to for everything but welding so far and it is a really great setup.. Especialy for the price! My .02...
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Except for the regulator, can a regular oxy-acetylene set be used with propane? No need for welding, just heat and bend use.
Poland308

Yes. Some of the tip sizes i.e. Oriface size, will over lap. But for most things that won't matter.

Josh
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Thx, I'll be looking for a propane reg then.
I'm out of acetylene now but I don't have a contract on the bottle so they will take it back if I try to change it.
Don't use it often enough to justify the cost so oxygen propane looks like a better option.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I believe you can use the same regulator. What you can't use is the same cutting tips. You must have cutting tips designed for the gas you want to use. And you want to make sure you use T rated hose otherwise the propane will degrade the R rated hose. To the OP, get a good kit from Smiths, Victor, Harris or ESAB (Purox, Oxweld). Don't buy Harbor Freight, anything Chinese made or anything that says Victory style or Harris style...those are knock offs. if you stick to the four mainstream brands, you will be fine. Purox and Oxweld are going the way of the dinosaur since ESAB bought Victor. The main concern is that your LWS has tips to sell you when you need them. That would be my biggest concern if I were you. I think you are best off going with acetylene at first. You never know if the bug to gas weld will hit you. Acetylene is certainly more versatile in the shop.
Multimatic 255
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Years ago I picked up a set of Goss regulators. Must have been in the '70s. I've done lots of weld repairs on steel tube fuselages over the years and they have served me well. The Goss torch is ok but to big for most of what I do. I've got a WWII vintage Smith Airline that I use most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene

I wonder if people could revisit this thread for me.

I put the whole torch idea away because I was busy with life, but now I'm looking at it again. I have learned that flame-straightening is a valuable tool, and I have read that propane is sub-par for this purpose. Right now I'm working on a project which may need to be straightened eventually. For these reasons, I plan to go with acetylene. I wouldn't use it much, so the price of gas would not be a problem, but I don't want to run into difficulties caused by a propane tool that won't do what I want.

It's very hard to choose an outfit. Every company makes a confusing array. I rooted around and came up with a couple. Wonder if anyone could advise me as to which is the better choice.

Victor Performer medium duty:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G44RTM/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Victor Medalist heavy duty:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYH4KHC/?c ... _lig_dp_it
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I have a "knock off" of the heavy duty 350 kit, made by Techniweld. Got it at my LWS for about $150-$200 a few years ago, can't remember. Anyways, it's worked great the few times I've needed it, uses standard size tips you can get pretty much anywhere. I use generic tips from HTP for it, and it just works
MFA for heating nozzles
1-101 type for cutting
300-series for Welding (or even small localized heating)

I also had a 3-tank manifold kit made by OA Doctor, so I can link up three acetylene tanks together if I ever need the flow for a good size rosebud heating tip. Cost about $175 with built-in check valves.

Here are some charts I have downloaded.

Victor Chart 1
Victor Chart 2
Victor Chart 3
Victor Chart 4
Victor Chart 5

Now I'm even more confused. I see people saying that I can use an acetylene rig with propane, as long as I switch the tips and make sure I have type T hoses. Is that correct? That seems like the way to go. Heat and cut with propane, and flame-straighten with acetylene.

Thank goodness, I found a way to make it even more complicated. I have to choose between CGA-510 and CGA-300, and I don't know what the difference is.

CGA 300 is for very large commercial tanks...you don't want that. You want CGA 510, which crosses over and works with propane tanks as well. I wouldn't over think your choices here. Victor and Smith are both high quality brands and you will be able to find tips locally for these two brands no problem. Pick one and run with it. I would personally go with the Victor Medalist 250 for $233 at Amazon. I like the new ergonomic handle, the torch has built in check valves and its inexpensive. I think the medalist 350 is a bit of a rip off in comparison. It is the same torch and tips, with different regulators.

https://www.amazon.com/Technologies-038 ... 148&sr=8-4
Multimatic 255

I think I'm getting the Journeyman Edge 0384-2101. Thanks for the tips.

cool!
Multimatic 255