Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Beastly Weldz
    Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:02 am

Gonna keep it nice and short. Im in welding school at the moment and im trying to learn as much as possible. I want to soon have a little shop. I dont have much tools but what i want is advice and opinions. Im starting to post stuff online if yall would like to help.
My Facebook page is, Beastly Weldz.
Also on Youtube is, Beastly Weldz.
Question, should I 1st get a plasma cutter or torch?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum! Are you thinking of opening a shop to provide services as a business, or a shop for your use?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Both.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

start with an Oxy torch. You can use it to preheat, bend, and post heat, as well as cut. Plasma only enables cutting.
Beastly Weldz
    Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:02 am

Right now my goal is to have a shop open where i can do custom projects. I do have a oxy torch class coming up in the fall this year. Ball park range how much does it cost to buy the torch? And also run the torch?
I probably won't be cutting anything thicker than 1/4. Thats why i was thinking plasma cutter.
If i had the money i would do both lol
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Both would ideally be best. But, if you're planning on just being a fab shop and not typically working with anything other than mild, stainless, or aluminum, I would get the plasma and a good compressor behind it. Can cut anything that will conduct lee trinity unlike a torch where you're limited to ferrous steels only, and it much cheaper to operate. I have the everlast plasma 80S and can attest that it is a BEAST. Granted I have a full torch rig too but it hardly gets used anymore.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene