Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

Yes, the VFD does that very well and would be the better solution for this. What is the HP spec. of the motor?

Take a look at this video to give you a basic idea of how the conversion works. Just the first one that I found with a quick search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeeutHA7n78
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks MFleet! Since watching this vid and a couple others, I'm seriously considering a VFD. You're right, much easier to convert and control. I have a CNC mill that has a Fuji VFD on it but it's 3 phase to begin with. Unfortunately it's in a separate building and running off of a rotary.

My Wellsaw Model 8 currently has a 3/4 HP 230 volt 3PH motor on it. I also have a 1HP and a 2HP 3PH motors in the storage building. Wellsaw currently sells this model as their #1016 with a 2HP motor. With a VFD and single sheave pulleys, I should be able to get some good performance no matter which motor I go with. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the 3/4 HP on it and seeing how well it does with a VFD. I can always swap out a motor as they're all the same frame size.

Thanks again!
Terry

There's only one way to find out. Might as well get started now...
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

You're most welcome. You have the idea and maybe it is a good decision to have just one that accommodates the largest motor that you have. A VFD is well suited to manual machines that can take advantage of variable cut speeds.

CNC equipment is a different requirement. Some of it is tolerant of a rotary and some not. If you plan on running reliably, look into the "phase perfect".

I'm somewhat envious of your location when I'm looking into good machinery.

Jeff
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Yeah, we're pretty lucky with the selection of good used gear up here.

Hope that your weathering the floods and staying dry!

Terry
Terry

There's only one way to find out. Might as well get started now...
shady
    Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Might have missed part of this BUT - I'd bet there is always more than one way.

Jack your saw up and put blocks (or what ever) under it use your rollers for support. I love my saw at a raised height.
I believe once you see how much more comfortable and productive you become you will find some way to make that height permanent.

Don't like it --- kick the blocks and bend your back.
raised saw.jpg
raised saw.jpg (110.83 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

I'd buy these and cut them down. I own a pair of these for my zip miter band saw, inexpensive for what you get, super easy to adjust the height on these and heavy duty. My local industrial supply had them in stock no shipping.

https://www.zoro.com/sumner-v-head-pipe ... /G4415512/