It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm Advanced search

Carbon arc gouging

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Re: Carbon arc gouging

Postby Farmwelding » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Last night I did my carbon arc gouging and found out just how easy and annoying it really is. Took a layer off a boat anchor and then he wanted a bunch of 3/8" plate cut from practice weld test to not waste material. Did a few with carbon arc gouging and the rest with the torch.Just glad it was that easy.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Re: Carbon arc gouging

Postby weldin mike 27 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm

If it was loud, dangerous, annoying AND hard, no one would do it, Because it's so easy (in the hands of a trained and competent operator), that's why its still widely used.
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Carbon arc gouging

Postby snoeproe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:29 am

Carbon arc is not a dying process. Outdoor maintenance work on heavy equipment is one place where it's still heavily used. Sure, you could use oxy fuel torch to remove all the wear plates from an excavator bucket, (you could also use a 5" angle grinder if you wanted) but arc air does it way faster with better control. The job is sped up and costs for the repair are reduced.
We've used arc lots on large structural steel jobs too.
Arc air is my preferred method for steel removal.
snoeproe

Previous

Return to Metal Cutting