Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
madchill
    Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 pm

I have six circle pieces to cut out, each one 11 inches in diameter, with am eight inch hole within that and then a notch off both sides of the inner hole. Obviously, I would like to cut all six at once. Is this possible using a plasma cutter, if I stack them and perhaps clamp them together for maximum conductivity? Using a Miller 875 plasma with direct contact tip.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

It can be done, but you cannot have any gap between the pieces where your cut line is. If you do, the plasma arc will widen out and will give you a wide kerf on the piece underneath. With there being only 6 pieces and these being only 16 ga. and the diameter so small, is there a particular reason why you cant burn them one at a time. If you are using a circle burner with that 875, you could fly through those things.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
madchill
    Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Just that their sizes are sort of small and doing it times six was certainly longer than doing it once.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

If you can get then to clamp together perfectly, you can try it, but be careful because that plasma arc likes to wander and you can find yourself with less than perfect edges on your cut below the top piece.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Try a test cut on a corner or a scrap piece stacked six deep.

As the others have stated, the stack has to be so tight as to be one piece.