Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

To All,

The carbide tipped blades for the Multipurpose Cut saw are expensive (150-200). :(
The saws (brand name) can run 400-600.

Instead stick with a Portable Band Saw (like the Milwakuee deep cut (4-7/8") 299.
Blades are around $7.00 each, or cheaper if you shop. 8-)

Then add a Band Saw stand from Swag Off Road.com and turn it into a vertical band saw with a miter gauge. The saw can be installed and removed from the stand in about 20 seconds. Just another path you might consider.
WOB
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Hell Jody had a video a couple weeks ago on buildin one of those porta band stands yerself for like 20 bucks I think it was, and it was trick you could customize it however you wanted.

Ya I would like a portaband too :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Wobulate

kermdawg wrote:Hell Jody had a video a couple weeks ago on buildin one of those porta band stands yerself for like 20 bucks I think it was, and it was trick you could customize it however you wanted.

Ya I would like a portaband too
kermdawg,
I did see the stand in the projects directory, it was very simple and useful. But you really can't compare that stand to the one from Swag Off Road.
Take a look at their web site (http://www.swagoffroad.com) and read how it is constructed, you will see that this is a heavy stand providing a stable platform for sawing. SOR also offers an optional miter gauge track and a simple but effective on/off switch (most likely from Harbor Freight).

Troy, who owns SOR is a Mechanical Engineer, and his product designs are evidence of his capability to see a need and build a solution.
Check out their web site, I know you will be impressed.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
kermdawg

Those plates gave me wood. 1-1/2 thick forged steel. mmmmmm
BulldogSV650
    Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:27 am

How about the Rage Evolution range??

I have one of their mitre saws. Mainly used on wood, but it is fitted with multi-purpose blade that cuts steel too. The mitre blades are rated for only a couple of hundred cuts on steel, but they do a specific chop saw that is rated for a thousand cuts. They are a lot cheaper than the name brands so might interest a hobbiest or small business.

http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/index.html

Check them out. I'm happy with mine and cost me less than half price of a name brand single purpose mitre saw. Replacement blades on the mitre saw is around £25 last time I checked. Still need to use it more with steel so will see how long the blade lasts.

Clint.
kermdawg

We must be lookin at somethin differant, cause the replacement blades for the chop saw i was lookin at on there were 120 bucks, plus shipping. Ouch :(

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/stor ... 20Saw%202/
BulldogSV650
    Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:27 am

Sorry was only checking the multi-purpose blades. They are the only ones supplied by my diy supplier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-mul ... 55mm/57380

I was mainly checking the 255mm blades.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rag ... 55mm/65166

Doesn't look like they supply the steel only blade as they mainly supply the building trade.
Just tried to see if I could buy a steel only blade from the website. When I selected the UK it didn't give me the option of the steel range. Only multi-purpose blades. Bummer can't give you a comparison in pounds..
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Anyone know if I can take the abrasive blade off my drop saw and put one of these TCT blades or similar or are they completely different machines?

Humour Me
Mick
Wobulate

weldin mike 27,
Hi there,

Anyone know if I can take the abrasive blade off my drop saw and put one of these TCT blades or similar or are they completely different machines?

Humour Me
Mick
Abrasive chop saws operate around 3,600 RPM, the Dewalt DW872 Multi-Cutter Saw operates at 1,300 RPM.
The abrasive blade will not work.
Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Thanks for that mate, I realise that now. I shall have to buy both.....damn, wife will be pleased. :lol:

Mick
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I use pretty much that exact saw. Right out of the box it was a few thousandths off from being square, After an hour or so of adjusting/cutting/measuring and the repeating I got it to about 5/1000 on 90 degree cuts, and around 12-15/1000 on 45 degrees. I don't do too many other angle cuts.

One thing I have noticed though is that it will occasionally wander off from square. It's not a lot, nor is it frequent (maybe 3 times in 6 months). I usually just fix the error with the grinder when I first notice it. But I always check before I start a project where I cut a lot of pieces before assembly.

I use mine on square/round/angle mild steel, 4041 Steel and 6061 Al. I don't know what I would use other that this saw.
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

I have a older Mikita 12" cold cut love the saw for miter cuts on square tubing and round ,but it taught me some pricey lessons
Does not like being pinched ,I figured it didn't but learned some heavier bar stock and some heavier tubing has some stress built in that will pinch those blades and teeth come off . Also used the circular saw version before I had my plasma cuter.
It was used for cutting 11ga sheet steel better than torch or gas saw but threw it out after getting the plasma I hated the chips the saw caught most of them but my knee caps got some too . And never cut on sheet steel that had been heated (torch cut or welded on ) even a little could pinch the blade . Best blades I think were called Bad blade they made 12" and 7.25" performance was good and they were cheaper ,but can't find them local any more
arc54
    Sat May 19, 2012 8:47 pm

I have the dewalt multipurpose 14inch saw your talking about, I just last week had to get the blade sharpened it was about 30 bucks at my tool warehouse. The blades are expensive but the do last a while(I mostly cut 45 degree angles in 1/8th wall square tubing). I recently bought a second blade as a backup and made the mistake of buying a non-resharpening blade for 130.00 :(
So just be careful with the blades you buy. I am now ordering a new blade that can be resharpened as a backup.good luck I hope this helps Steve