Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I use pretty much that exact saw. Right out of the box it was a few thousandths off from being square, After an hour or so of adjusting/cutting/measuring and the repeating I got it to about 5/1000 on 90 degree cuts, and around 12-15/1000 on 45 degrees. I don't do too many other angle cuts.

One thing I have noticed though is that it will occasionally wander off from square. It's not a lot, nor is it frequent (maybe 3 times in 6 months). I usually just fix the error with the grinder when I first notice it. But I always check before I start a project where I cut a lot of pieces before assembly.

I use mine on square/round/angle mild steel, 4041 Steel and 6061 Al. I don't know what I would use other that this saw.
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

I have a older Mikita 12" cold cut love the saw for miter cuts on square tubing and round ,but it taught me some pricey lessons
Does not like being pinched ,I figured it didn't but learned some heavier bar stock and some heavier tubing has some stress built in that will pinch those blades and teeth come off . Also used the circular saw version before I had my plasma cuter.
It was used for cutting 11ga sheet steel better than torch or gas saw but threw it out after getting the plasma I hated the chips the saw caught most of them but my knee caps got some too . And never cut on sheet steel that had been heated (torch cut or welded on ) even a little could pinch the blade . Best blades I think were called Bad blade they made 12" and 7.25" performance was good and they were cheaper ,but can't find them local any more
arc54
    Sat May 19, 2012 8:47 pm

I have the dewalt multipurpose 14inch saw your talking about, I just last week had to get the blade sharpened it was about 30 bucks at my tool warehouse. The blades are expensive but the do last a while(I mostly cut 45 degree angles in 1/8th wall square tubing). I recently bought a second blade as a backup and made the mistake of buying a non-resharpening blade for 130.00 :(
So just be careful with the blades you buy. I am now ordering a new blade that can be resharpened as a backup.good luck I hope this helps Steve