Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Good Morning Forum Members,
Am looking to buy a bench mount throatless metal shear soon and I am looking for some input by folks that might own or use them. I will be using it moderately in my garage so I don't want to buy a Shirley (Cadillac of shears) as they are pretty pricey. I am looking for something that has a 14 gauge mild steel capacity, maybe a Baleigh model? Input please.

Bradk
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Needed to make a correction, it was Beverly Shears being the Cadillac of shears not Shirley. What was I thinking, obviously not! Ended up buying a Baleigh MPS-1 from Baleigh Industrial Tool online. The shear has a cutting capacity of 14 gauge mild steel which should be fine for what I do.
Bradk

Bradk, if you will, do a product review (in that forum) I'm sure there are others who would be interested.
Richard
Website
Sprockmonster
    Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Harbor Freight!!

Had the same dilemma as you but closer to Christmas... didnt want to shell out the dough/ couldnt wait for shipping for a real one.

They worked okay after a solid degreasing and some blade tightening/adjustment. One of the bolts is clear too short or one of the arms is bent out but i dealt with it for the hour that i spent cutting.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I just got the Woodward Fab 10" version, haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but for the price. :) Definitely not a Beverly but for what little I'll use it for should work out.. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hck-sphs10
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225