Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

You know what they say about opinions. For the cost of one of those pieces of shiite I can put receptacles avery six feet from one end of the shop to the other, on both walls, and not have to deal with the battery scam. In the field on a scaffold or where there is no electric is one thing. In a shop is another animal.
Off to order a USA Mag holeshooter, new old stock.
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

wvuarmyeng wrote:Are those just regular torch holders or.did yoh mod them

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
They are regular magnet ones I bought at my local welding supply.
Graveyard

Antorcha wrote:You know what they say about opinions. For the cost of one of those pieces of shiite I can put receptacles avery six feet from one end of the shop to the other, on both walls, and not have to deal with the battery scam. In the field on a scaffold or where there is no electric is one thing. In a shop is another animal.
Sorry I thought I put in my original post that I wanted it for little odd jobs that require an extension cord in or outside the shop. I guess I didn’t. I’ve used the dewalt cordless grinder at a previous employer and it worked very well. You must have had a bad experince to call them a scam. I did end up picking up a Milwaukee fuel grinder and it came with 2 batteries. I will put it to use and post up any feedback if anyone is interested.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Graveyard wrote:
Antorcha wrote:You know what they say about opinions. For the cost of one of those pieces of shiite I can put receptacles avery six feet from one end of the shop to the other, on both walls, and not have to deal with the battery scam. In the field on a scaffold or where there is no electric is one thing. In a shop is another animal.
Sorry I thought I put in my original post that I wanted it for little odd jobs that require an extension cord in or outside the shop. I guess I didn’t. I’ve used the dewalt cordless grinder at a previous employer and it worked very well. You must have had a bad experince to call them a scam. I did end up picking up a Milwaukee fuel grinder and it came with 2 batteries. I will put it to use and post up any feedback if anyone is interested.
Yeah I'd like to hear about it. I've been a dewalt guy because it is all I know. Just like John Deere farm equipment, Smith torches, kenworth semi tractors, and craftsman crescent wrenches. It's what I've always used cause most of my work was on my uncles farm where that stuff was used so I am always interested in hearing the thoughts on other brands. Like I said before-cordless grinder is the handiest tool we have. I've cut dang near everything with it. cut bolts, cut scrap, do some fabrication jobs like coping angle iron, haul out to a field, put into the back of a combine.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Graveyard wrote: I will put it to use and post up any feedback if anyone is interested.
I'm interested
Richard
Website
Graveyard

Ok so after a weeks worth of use I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. I put it through it’s paces and with the 5.0 batteries it lasted a good amount of time. It feels just as strong as my corded grinders, of course it’s a little slower RPM but still easily gets the job done. Like I said before this is for quick little jobs in and outside of the shop and I have no doubt it can handle what I’m going to throw at it and I don’t regret the purchase.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Graveyard wrote:Ok so after a weeks worth of use I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. I put it through it’s paces and with the 5.0 batteries it lasted a good amount of time. It feels just as strong as my corded grinders, of course it’s a little slower RPM but still easily gets the job done. Like I said before this is for quick little jobs in and outside of the shop and I have no doubt it can handle what I’m going to throw at it and I don’t regret the purchase.
I don't regret mine either - and 10 years ago I would have actively rejected anything battery powered except drills.

... I'm even thinking about adding a cordless circular saw for carpentry this summer... And a second cordless grinder for mobile work. One for grinding, the other with the wire wheel. The fewer cables to drag around equipment the better :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Graveyard wrote:Ok so after a weeks worth of use I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. I put it through it’s paces and with the 5.0 batteries it lasted a good amount of time. It feels just as strong as my corded grinders, of course it’s a little slower RPM but still easily gets the job done. Like I said before this is for quick little jobs in and outside of the shop and I have no doubt it can handle what I’m going to throw at it and I don’t regret the purchase.
I don't regret mine either - and 10 years ago I would have actively rejected anything battery powered except drills.

... I'm even thinking about adding a cordless circular saw for carpentry this summer... And a second cordless grinder for mobile work. One for grinding, the other with the wire wheel. The fewer cables to drag around equipment the better :)
Cordless circular saw is a great thing. My uncle got the full set circular saw, light, grinder, impact wrench, hammer drill, right angle drill, and maybe a couple other things but every summer I've used everyone of them. Cordless tools are probably the single most handy tool.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote: Cordless circular saw is a great thing. My uncle got the full set circular saw, light, grinder, impact wrench, hammer drill, right angle drill, and maybe a couple other things but every summer I've used everyone of them. Cordless tools are probably the single most handy tool.
I remember when I drove off to the military in 1989, all my tools in the world fit into a 3 drawer craftsman tool box.

Now it would take a semi truck to move all my stuff in my shop :D

...might have overdone it a little - Haha!
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Cordless circular saw is a great thing.
Really handy to take to the big box, if you need to cut anything out of wood, it's very useful. If you don't have something to carry a full sheet of plywood or long timber, a cordless circular saw or chainsaw can come in real handy.

I will say, I've had some people staring at me when I fire up a chainsaw in the parking lot of Home Depot...LOL
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I bought all new Makita brushless cordless tools in the last year. Home depot often has deals where you get extra tools or batteries.

When I was at Fabtech the Metabo guys said that their cordless grinders are made in Germany, but I had already bought the Makita stuff. I don't necessarily believe him either. If I was making my product in Germany I would make sure everyone knew about about it.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
aland

Turbo wrote:Metabo guys said that their cordless grinders are made in Germany, but I had already bought the Makita stuff.
This is not the cordless, but AvE always gives a good honest review.

Good to search his channel for "angle grinder", he's good a lot of good reviews...both good and bad...caveat emptor!
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

aland wrote:
Really handy to take to the big box, if you need to cut anything out of wood, it's very useful. If you don't have something to carry a full sheet of plywood or long timber, a cordless circular saw or chainsaw can come in real handy.

I will say, I've had some people staring at me when I fire up a chainsaw in the parking lot of Home Depot...LOL
Was just talking to a local fellow who is a master chainsaw wood carver. He travels all over Canada (don't know about US) with a group of carvers to put on demonstrations. He is sponsored by Husquavarna and says they are bringing out a new battery saw that mimics the handling and power of a gas saw. He claims it is a huge improvement over the current battery saws available. Don't know when it will be available but sounded good by his telling.
Farmwelding

homeboy wrote:
aland wrote:

Was just talking to a local fellow who is a master chainsaw wood carver. He travels all over Canada (don't know about US) with a group of carvers to put on demonstrations. He is sponsored by Husquavarna and says they are bringing out a new battery saw that mimics the handling and power of a gas saw. He claims it is a huge improvement over the current battery saws available. Don't know when it will be available but sounded good by his telling.
Hate to run out of juice in the middle of the woods cutting trees down or cutting up firewood. I feel like for chainsaws I'll always be a gas guy. Unless you throw a V8 diesel on it like hey do for the lumberjack competitions.
Nick
homeboy

Trying to picture the two gorillas who could handle a V8 diesel racing saw carving a grizzly out of a tree trunk. Methinks using a battery chainsaw logging would be akin to taking a very small knife to a very large gunfight! I have a little 20v B+D chainsaw that is great for limb trimming and rough cutting some boards etc. Also a fairly full selection of battery tools which are all great within their design capabilities. As said earlier "no cords". Can't beat that. :lol:
Farmwelding

homeboy wrote:Trying to picture the two gorillas who could handle a V8 diesel racing saw carving a grizzly out of a tree trunk. Methinks using a battery chainsaw logging would be akin to taking a very small knife to a very large gunfight! I have a little 20v B+D chainsaw that is great for limb trimming and rough cutting some boards etc. Also a fairly full selection of battery tools which are all great within their design capabilities. As said earlier "no cords". Can't beat that. :lol:
Yeah I don't decorative cutting cause I don't possess the motor skills but I could imagine that it would be a heck of a time handling the saw to do that. I'm just a traditionalist in that regard though. Not a fan of change and new stuff.
Nick
aland

homeboy wrote:Was just talking to a local fellow who is a master chainsaw wood carver. He travels all over Canada (don't know about US) with a group of carvers to put on demonstrations. He is sponsored by Husquavarna and says they are bringing out a new battery saw that mimics the handling and power of a gas saw. He claims it is a huge improvement over the current battery saws available. Don't know when it will be available but sounded good by his telling.
I know a carver up in Ontario, his name is Robbin Wenzowski, I may have him travel out to a piece of property I own to do some carving...I'm building a log home, and have a few trees around the property that Robbin could do justice on... I do some small carving, like mushrooms, a small bear, stuff like that, but would like to incorporate some small animals like that in the timbers indoors, and on the porch. I think Robbin is sponsored by Stihl though.
\
I bought some carving chain and bars from a guy up in Washington, he's also a well known carver, his name is Bob King. He's sponsored by Echo I believe.

There's a lot of good carvers around.

My log home is dovetailed on the corners, so I use mostly all 1/4" carving chain on all my chainsaws. Mostly Husqvarna here, but have one small Echo 3450 I use...it's a classic...I also use my angle grinder with 60 grit flap wheels, those wheels eat up steel or wood, I love 'em! I use the Lehigh Valley discs.

I prefer corded grinders if I can have power where I'm working. My next grinder will hopefully be a Metabo.

Alan
homeboy

Farmboy : By reading forums,watching videos and basicly observing and practicing I feel I am just beginning to get some idea of the motor skills,hand to eye co-ordination and sheer knowledge required to become really competent in the welding profession. With your youth and zeal never sell yourself short because you can do anything you set your mind to. 50 years ago when I first worked in construction we slugged our butts off with what would be considered primitive equipment nowadays. When I retired a few years ago with modern equipment and methods many fewer men did much more work,better, without slugging their butts off. The tools I have now in my little hobby shop would be to die for not that many years ago when we built and maintained our equipment. I like change that improves our lives and make it more efficient and easier. Some other types of change not so much! You are just learning your motor skills among other things and someday if you want you will find that you can carve that eagle out of that stump. It's up to you. :ugeek:
homeboy

aland : I myself know nothing about carving and just happened to meet this fellow. I know the family a bit ( this is a son )mostly in the logging and carving business. Name is Mike Winnia and I have seen some of his local work. Beautifull !! We are in SW Ontario with lots of logs I suppose. I will keep your fellas name and if I run into Mike I will pass it on. Seems if you are in the upper tiers in this trade they travel a lot and being fairly exclusive they may have met. A friend of mine who I am working with to build a large live edge oak slab table started using the flap disks after I gave him one to try and he thinks they are great. When I was in construction I had a crane and set the logs for a few log homes. I am completely amazed at the skill and dedication of the carver to take these raw logs and with fairly simple tools carve them to fit perfectly. Works of art. :D
aland

homeboy wrote:We are in SW Ontario with lots of logs I suppose.
Indeed you have some big logs up there.

I don't want to get too side tracked, this is a cordless grinder thread...

Alan
CHCWeldingLLC
    Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am

All the best grinders are metabos, with that said it’s the most expensive by almost double than most. I have had the flathead verison for 3 years now, it’s an unreplaceable tool! I have found using a flapper wheel on any other brand than the metabo drains the battery extremely fast. I mostly use the cordless with a wire brush and while using it stick welding all day to brush off slag, I can usual get by with 1-2 batteries.
CHC Welding
Chcwelding.com
aland

CHCWeldingLLC wrote:All the best grinders are metabos, with that said it’s the most expensive by almost double than most. I have had the flathead verison for 3 years now, it’s an unreplaceable tool! I have found using a flapper wheel on any other brand than the metabo drains the battery extremely fast. I mostly use the cordless with a wire brush and while using it stick welding all day to brush off slag, I can usual get by with 1-2 batteries.
One can pick them up in the 6" size on ebay for about $75 - $100 if you're patient. I just bought one for $75, but an 11-050 which is a discontinued model that only had 9.0 amps. Still, not a bad buy for $75.

I have a Milwaukee that quit on me, not sure what is wrong, but hoping the Metabo lasts for a while. I'd like to get another 4.5" model also. Just seems like you can't enough angle grinders. A cordless would be nice also, just in case, but I prefer corded myself.

Alan
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

This is becoming a thread about Ford or Chevy's. I think it's great to have a grinder without a cord!

Go Makita! :oops: :mrgreen:
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

With the innovation in battery technology, cordless tools are becoming very practical. I bought a Snap On battery impact that I would rate against any air-driven or corded impact. I used it this past weekend in fact to completely tear down and rebuild the entire suspension on my buddy's Super Duty. 2 days, about 200 bolts all at high torque, and never changed or charged the battery once. At about 4#, that to me is a heck of a tool. And for job site work, a cordless grinder makes way too sense. Even in a shop, not having cords laying around and being dragged around is a huge plus.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

tungstendipper wrote:This is becoming a thread about Ford or Chevy's. I think it's great to have a grinder without a cord!

Go Makita! :oops: :mrgreen:
Fein Rules!!!! :shock: <- my face when I see their prices.

I