It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm Advanced search

Cordless grinder

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Cordless grinder

Postby Graveyard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:33 pm

What’s up everyone, so I have a question for those of you who have or have used cordless grinders. All mine in the shop are corded dewalts and every now and then I have to move them around the shop to cut something small or grind something and I’m thinking of buying one cordless. I already have a nice Milwaukee drill I use daily and I am leaning towards Milwaukee so I can use the batteries interchangeably. Can any say what brand they’ve used and what seems to hold up best in their opinion? Thanks for any input. Here is my current setup!
Attachments
FF3E7A58-0AAA-4187-A0C0-E29E3E34BDF1.jpeg
FF3E7A58-0AAA-4187-A0C0-E29E3E34BDF1.jpeg (103.92 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Graveyard
Workhorse

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby ex framie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Since you already have a Milwaukee battery go with the Milwaukee grinder.
Theres not a lot of difference between the top 3 or 4 battery tool producers in terms of performance and quality, so go with what youve got.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
ex framie
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 pm

May as well go with the Milwaukee. You've got batteries already. I've only used the dewalt cordless grinder and it is the nadir at tool on the farm. Use it almost every day for anything you can think of. This last year we upgraded and got the conversion kit to use the 20v lithium batteries and now they cut like a hot knife through butter. If you can get the higher amp hour batteries.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 pm

They have both Dewalt and Milwaukee at work. They both a seem to work fine. I’m just not a fan of having to stop working on something to change batteries or worse yet waiting for one to charge. But they do have there place with small jobs. They also seem to be hard on batteries
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

I like my milwaukee 18v cordless grinder.

I bought it for a vinyl siding job and it cut that stuff most of the day on one charge.

On steel the cutting wheel doesn't suck the battery too bad but a grinding wheel can put a hurt on a battery :D

Can't lean on them like a corded version or it'll stop until you pull the trigger again.

Overall, wish I had 2 or 3 of them :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby mechanic416 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm

I have all Dewalt 18 volt cordless tool. The 4 1/2" grinder works OK but like said its hard on battery's if you really bare down on it. Now flap disc's and cut off wheels seem to do a lot better. I keep 4 battery's charged all the time.
mechanic416

Postby Graveyard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks for the input, probably pick one up later this week. I’ve used the dewalt ones at previous employers and liked them but never really thought it would benefit me much in my shop since I have plenty of outlets, but those few times when I just need to do something quick it would be nice just to grab it and go. I use my current ones pretty much daily.
Graveyard
Workhorse

Postby Farmwelding » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:35 am

I'll also add that with a wire brushes, especially cup brushes, they work well because the spin at a lower rpm so they don't grab as bad and don't vibrate as much.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby OzFlo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 am

I used to use Milwaukee 18v tools when I was doing building maintenance a couple of years back. Not a bad choice and will fill your requirements nicely.
OzFlo
Guide

Postby wvuarmyeng » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 am

Are those just regular torch holders or.did yoh mod them

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
wvuarmyeng

Next

Return to Metal Cutting