It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 am Advanced search

Cordless grinder

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby Antorcha » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

You know what they say about opinions. For the cost of one of those pieces of shiite I can put receptacles avery six feet from one end of the shop to the other, on both walls, and not have to deal with the battery scam. In the field on a scaffold or where there is no electric is one thing. In a shop is another animal.
Off to order a USA Mag holeshooter, new old stock.
Antorcha
Ace
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am
Location: By da lake

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby Graveyard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:10 pm

wvuarmyeng wrote:Are those just regular torch holders or.did yoh mod them

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


They are regular magnet ones I bought at my local welding supply.
Graveyard
Workhorse
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am
Location: Burnsville MN

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby Graveyard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:28 pm

Antorcha wrote:You know what they say about opinions. For the cost of one of those pieces of shiite I can put receptacles avery six feet from one end of the shop to the other, on both walls, and not have to deal with the battery scam. In the field on a scaffold or where there is no electric is one thing. In a shop is another animal.
Off to order a USA Mag holeshooter, new old stock.


Sorry I thought I put in my original post that I wanted it for little odd jobs that require an extension cord in or outside the shop. I guess I didn’t. I’ve used the dewalt cordless grinder at a previous employer and it worked very well. You must have had a bad experince to call them a scam. I did end up picking up a Milwaukee fuel grinder and it came with 2 batteries. I will put it to use and post up any feedback if anyone is interested.
Graveyard
Workhorse
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am
Location: Burnsville MN

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Graveyard wrote:
Antorcha wrote:You know what they say about opinions. For the cost of one of those pieces of shiite I can put receptacles avery six feet from one end of the shop to the other, on both walls, and not have to deal with the battery scam. In the field on a scaffold or where there is no electric is one thing. In a shop is another animal.
Off to order a USA Mag holeshooter, new old stock.


Sorry I thought I put in my original post that I wanted it for little odd jobs that require an extension cord in or outside the shop. I guess I didn’t. I’ve used the dewalt cordless grinder at a previous employer and it worked very well. You must have had a bad experince to call them a scam. I did end up picking up a Milwaukee fuel grinder and it came with 2 batteries. I will put it to use and post up any feedback if anyone is interested.

Yeah I'd like to hear about it. I've been a dewalt guy because it is all I know. Just like John Deere farm equipment, Smith torches, kenworth semi tractors, and craftsman crescent wrenches. It's what I've always used cause most of my work was on my uncles farm where that stuff was used so I am always interested in hearing the thoughts on other brands. Like I said before-cordless grinder is the handiest tool we have. I've cut dang near everything with it. cut bolts, cut scrap, do some fabrication jobs like coping angle iron, haul out to a field, put into the back of a combine.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1465
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby LtBadd » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Graveyard wrote: I will put it to use and post up any feedback if anyone is interested.

I'm interested
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby Graveyard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:01 am

Ok so after a weeks worth of use I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. I put it through it’s paces and with the 5.0 batteries it lasted a good amount of time. It feels just as strong as my corded grinders, of course it’s a little slower RPM but still easily gets the job done. Like I said before this is for quick little jobs in and outside of the shop and I have no doubt it can handle what I’m going to throw at it and I don’t regret the purchase.
Graveyard
Workhorse
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am
Location: Burnsville MN

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby MinnesotaDave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Graveyard wrote:Ok so after a weeks worth of use I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. I put it through it’s paces and with the 5.0 batteries it lasted a good amount of time. It feels just as strong as my corded grinders, of course it’s a little slower RPM but still easily gets the job done. Like I said before this is for quick little jobs in and outside of the shop and I have no doubt it can handle what I’m going to throw at it and I don’t regret the purchase.


I don't regret mine either - and 10 years ago I would have actively rejected anything battery powered except drills.

... I'm even thinking about adding a cordless circular saw for carpentry this summer... And a second cordless grinder for mobile work. One for grinding, the other with the wire wheel. The fewer cables to drag around equipment the better :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
User avatar
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Location: Bemidji MN, U.S.A.

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Graveyard wrote:Ok so after a weeks worth of use I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. I put it through it’s paces and with the 5.0 batteries it lasted a good amount of time. It feels just as strong as my corded grinders, of course it’s a little slower RPM but still easily gets the job done. Like I said before this is for quick little jobs in and outside of the shop and I have no doubt it can handle what I’m going to throw at it and I don’t regret the purchase.


I don't regret mine either - and 10 years ago I would have actively rejected anything battery powered except drills.

... I'm even thinking about adding a cordless circular saw for carpentry this summer... And a second cordless grinder for mobile work. One for grinding, the other with the wire wheel. The fewer cables to drag around equipment the better :)

Cordless circular saw is a great thing. My uncle got the full set circular saw, light, grinder, impact wrench, hammer drill, right angle drill, and maybe a couple other things but every summer I've used everyone of them. Cordless tools are probably the single most handy tool.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1465
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby MinnesotaDave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Cordless circular saw is a great thing. My uncle got the full set circular saw, light, grinder, impact wrench, hammer drill, right angle drill, and maybe a couple other things but every summer I've used everyone of them. Cordless tools are probably the single most handy tool.


I remember when I drove off to the military in 1989, all my tools in the world fit into a 3 drawer craftsman tool box.

Now it would take a semi truck to move all my stuff in my shop :D

...might have overdone it a little - Haha!
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
User avatar
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Location: Bemidji MN, U.S.A.

Re: Cordless grinder

Postby aland » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 am

Farmwelding wrote:Cordless circular saw is a great thing.


Really handy to take to the big box, if you need to cut anything out of wood, it's very useful. If you don't have something to carry a full sheet of plywood or long timber, a cordless circular saw or chainsaw can come in real handy.

I will say, I've had some people staring at me when I fire up a chainsaw in the parking lot of Home Depot...LOL
aland
Guide
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Metal Cutting