It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:22 am Advanced search

how to cut 16 gauge sheet metal

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

how to cut 16 gauge sheet metal

Postby burnttoast » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello all, wondering if anyone can help. I'm doing a small artsy project and need advice on how to cut out a cat silhouette
that measures just 4x5 inches. as per the title, the gauge is 16. I can use my angle grinder to remove the large pieces of metal that I don't need, but what can I do to get closer without cutting my fingers off. thanks
burnttoast

Re: how to cut 16 gauge sheet metal

Postby AndersK » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm

This type of electric shear can cut quite narrow curves.
For a non daily use the Harbour Freight version do well, at least if you rough cut first.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boscht ... s-23498-c/
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby motox » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Matita 1602 electric shear
i own one its a great tool
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox
Weldmonger

Postby clavius » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 pm

If you only have one (or a few) to do a decent variable speed jig saw with a fine metal cutting blade will make reasonably quick work of it. You can cut pretty tight curves with it. Just support the work well, take your time and wear hearing protection as the sound is quite obnoxious.

If you don't own one already something suitable is reasonably affordable and has lots of other uses.
clavius
Workhorse

Postby Graveyard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 pm

I use a Dewalt DW892 shear as well as a dewalt 893. Both are pricy but a worth while investment if you are planning on doing a lot of cutting. I’ve had the DW893 for two years now and it has been great only had to rotate the blades once. It has 4 cutting edges on the blades. The DW892 only has one cutting edge so when the blades are shot you have to replace them.
Graveyard
Workhorse

Postby snoeproe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 pm

My Cnc plasma table will quick work of that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snoeproe

Postby snoeproe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 am

The quickest way to cut sheet metal is with a plasma cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snoeproe

Postby Homemade » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Plasma... why stop there? Go straight to water jet. No warpage.
Homemade

Postby metalman21 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 pm

clavius wrote:If you only have one (or a few) to do a decent variable speed jig saw with a fine metal cutting blade will make reasonably quick work of it. You can cut pretty tight curves with it. Just support the work well, take your time and wear hearing protection as the sound is quite obnoxious.

If you don't own one already something suitable is reasonably affordable and has lots of other uses.

This is a reasonable way to get it done. Use some 2" rigid foam insulation board under the metal on the bench to back it up so you don't have to hang the blade off the edge of the bench. Just make sure the blade isn't too long and stays within the thickness of the foam. I keep some foam panels around for doing this when it's my only option. Works with the router also.
When the foam gets beat up, toss it out, doesn't cost much.
Ernie F.
metalman21

Postby Antorcha » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Its a lil heavy for a cheapo air nibbler(if you have air?) and a lil too lite for a jigsaw. Choose the jigsaw. Lay the tin on top of a piece of thin plywood, 1 x 4 crap wood or even drywall and cut away.Vibration is what kills saw blades. PERIOD.
Buy a good metal cutting jigsaw blade. The Dewalts at the box stores are pretty decent.All the big names are OK. I have a couple dozen Bosch bits that we use sometimes.... 14-18 tooth I think.They're actually made by Metabo (or vice-versa?/ really means nothing)
Antorcha
Ace

Next

Return to Metal Cutting