Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

So I’ve been using cheap hole saws from Home Depot and Lowe’s for a long time and finally stepped up to a nice carbide hole saw about a year ago, well a few weeks back I ran it into my vice accidentally while drilling through some sheet metal and dulled the hell out of it. Before I order up another one I want some opinions on what people have been using. It’s an 1 1/2” hope saw and I use it very often on 16 ga cold rolled steel. I use it to cut the hole to install weld in bungs for the gas caps in the tanks I build. I would rather spend a decent amount of money on a good one that will last. Thanks for any input.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Honestly, for me, a decent bi-metal hole saw with good quality cutting fluid, on a low speed have worked great. I use simple Milwaukees in my tubing notcher cutting up to .120 wall DOM endlessly. I use Walter cutting fluids, and it pays to do so in my experience.

It sounds like you had a good hole saw, what brand was it? Agree with CJ if used at the right rpm and a good cutting fluid, just like any cutting tool.
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

As usual, CJ hit the nail on the head. Most drill presses turn too fast for larger hole saws so cutting fluid is a must.
Last edited by tungstendipper on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Graveyard

These are the ones I currently have and the black one up front so the carbide one I use. I do not know what brand the carbide one is. I purchased it from a tool shop that gets them from a local company who makes them. Also I must add that I do not use a drill press for drilling the holes because the tanks cannot be chucked so I use a hand held Milwaukee Fuel Drill. Good bi metal hole saws can’t handle the abuse I put on them. They are sloppy and they walk to much. The carbide one has been the best and I really want to stick with that for this purpose. I just wanted recommendations on what are good brands to look into. Thank you for the input as usual!
Attachments
A007717A-4484-485D-9975-8F077A52DFF5.jpeg
A007717A-4484-485D-9975-8F077A52DFF5.jpeg (110.86 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ve used several brands, but Starrett, Milwaukee, and Lenox seem to have pretty good life for the cost.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
CHCWeldingLLC
    Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am

I like the greenlee chuck and holesaws but lenox is a good hole vs cost.
CHC Welding
Chcwelding.com
Graveyard

Decided to pick up a mn EZARC carbide hope saw to see how it works. If it doesn’t I’m probably going to pick up a champion, that’s the brand I had a few jobs ago and I drilled through 1/4” stainless like it was nothing. Thanks again for the input.
Graveyard

First impression with this new hole saw is that it is very well made and the cut quality is amazing! Just used it and I am very impressed and please with my purchase here.
Blain
    Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 am

I bought a 1 1/4" EZARC carbide hole saw to drill 48 holes in 1/8" steel and it worked like a charm. Low speed and cutting fluid and you can't even tell the saw was used.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Blain wrote:I bought a 1 1/4" EZARC carbide hole saw to drill 48 holes in 1/8" steel and it worked like a charm. Low speed and cutting fluid and you can't even tell the saw was used.
Drilled with what drill ?
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I cut wood, nail embedded wood, and sometimes steel up to an inch thick. All bi metal hole saws work well if they don't overheat. For steel, I drill relief holes reaching the ring where the saw will cut. This allows the teeth to clear themselves, and reduces heat. Then, keep it oily. Slow is the only speed you want the drill press.

Willie
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

https://www.rocol.com/products/rtd-comp ... g-drilling

I use this paste and like it a lot. It’s the consistency of grease. It sticks to the blade good and cleans up easy. You can get by with just an old window cleaner spray bottle and water as well.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Blain
    Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 am

Antorcha wrote:
Blain wrote:I bought a 1 1/4" EZARC carbide hole saw to drill 48 holes in 1/8" steel and it worked like a charm. Low speed and cutting fluid and you can't even tell the saw was used.
Drilled with what drill ?

Just a cheap Wen 10" desktop model.
Metal Manipulator
    Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am

I have used Lennox hole saws but lately have switched to Blair hole cutters. These work nice. After the holes were cut I used a dimple die to bevel them. http://shop.blairequipment.com
Attachments
IMG_20161208_101802676.jpg
IMG_20161208_101802676.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
IMG_20161208_102936577.jpg
IMG_20161208_102936577.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 1869 times