Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I buy Walter EnduroFlex flap discs in 40 grit. They are thread on type, so they are very easy to install and remove without a tool. Their zip wheels run about $2.50 at my LWS for a 4.5” They also have a waffle disk for heavy millscale, but it is very aggressive if you apply any real pressure, so use care unless you need to clean 40 year old rusty steel...

They do offer a wide variety of different disks for specific metals too if you need something special. I use their “blue” colored disks also for stainless specific surfacing. Standard carbon steel is “orange”.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

cj737 wrote:I buy Walter EnduroFlex flap discs in 40 grit. They are thread on type, so they are very easy to install and remove without a tool.
I like the idea of a threaded disc, the zip disc will get jammed when you break one. Since they are thin, they have a tendency to break more easily, I broke one last week before my grinder died. :(
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

A variety of clamps and welding magnets. For locking clamps I usually stick with Irwin but I picked up some cheap knockoffs at PA which work fine. Check them out first. Just lock them as tight as you can and if they don't deflect they are probably fine. For flap discs Zirconium is good, aluminum oxide is cheaper but wears much quicker.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

homeboy wrote:A variety of clamps and welding magnets. For locking clamps I usually stick with Irwin but I picked up some cheap knockoffs at PA which work fine. Check them out first. Just lock them as tight as you can and if they don't deflect they are probably fine. For flap discs Zirconium is good, aluminum oxide is cheaper but wears much quicker.
Now your sending him down that dark hole that the rest of us have gone.....How many clamps and magnets are enough?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

tungstendipper wrote:
homeboy wrote:A variety of clamps and welding magnets. For locking clamps I usually stick with Irwin but I picked up some cheap knockoffs at PA which work fine. Check them out first. Just lock them as tight as you can and if they don't deflect they are probably fine. For flap discs Zirconium is good, aluminum oxide is cheaper but wears much quicker.
Now your sending him down that dark hole that the rest of us have gone.....How many clamps and magnets are enough?
Enough? Doesn't exist!! :roll:
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

444e wrote:I noticed that Walter makes a Zipp wheel on Amazon but they are pretty expensive with a lot of different options. Can anyone shed some light on which of these wheels are best to get?
A good quality Metabo Slicer wheel works equally well too. I do use the Walters for stainless. Their 49 grit flapper and their Waffke disks are unrivaled for cleaning and cutting.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I just bought myself a 10 inch compound miter chop saw for steel, plastic and wood off Amazon $200. Have yet to get it. I have been cutting all my materials with a 4 1/2 hand held grinder and it is getting old fast. Saw is an Evolution Tools Rage 3.
444e
    Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 pm

bruce991 wrote:I just bought myself a 10 inch compound miter chop saw for steel, plastic and wood off Amazon $200. Have yet to get it. I have been cutting all my materials with a 4 1/2 hand held grinder and it is getting old fast. Saw is an Evolution Tools Rage 3.
my lws swears by the evolution circular saw. i have yet to get one as my wallet is still in shock from initial welding supplies and welder.
TheWeldingConnector
    Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:13 pm

444e wrote:Hey guys, I am just getting into welding and was wondering what tools you guys recommend for cutting and prep work. All I have right now is a angle grinder and Sawzall. I bought a pack of wire brushes 4 the angle grinder at Harbor Freight but they don't work very well. Thanks for any help
I would recommend a portable band saw. I have a Milwaukee deep cut band saw and got the SWAG Off Road table for it. Its an expensive combo but I think it is worth it. Another item that I would recommend is getting a vice for your welding table.
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

I have the same setup ^ " Milwaukee deep cut band saw and got the SWAG Off Road table " and use that more than any other cutting tools.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

You said NewB... I say cutoff wheels. Master them because no matter how much fancy your wallet allows for;that disc will always be a must. Make sure you're an expert with them.
#2 would be the portaband used hand held.The table is a luxury ....and a crutch.
#3 would be an oxyfuel rig. Preferably with acet and not LP since if a guy cant weld with an O/A torch he isn't really a welder. :shock: