It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:00 pm Advanced search

Best metal cutting and prep tools? Newb

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Re: Best metal cutting and prep tools? Newb

Postby cj737 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:25 am

I buy Walter EnduroFlex flap discs in 40 grit. They are thread on type, so they are very easy to install and remove without a tool. Their zip wheels run about $2.50 at my LWS for a 4.5” They also have a waffle disk for heavy millscale, but it is very aggressive if you apply any real pressure, so use care unless you need to clean 40 year old rusty steel...

They do offer a wide variety of different disks for specific metals too if you need something special. I use their “blue” colored disks also for stainless specific surfacing. Standard carbon steel is “orange”.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby aland » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:59 am

cj737 wrote:I buy Walter EnduroFlex flap discs in 40 grit. They are thread on type, so they are very easy to install and remove without a tool.

I like the idea of a threaded disc, the zip disc will get jammed when you break one. Since they are thin, they have a tendency to break more easily, I broke one last week before my grinder died. :(
aland
Guide

Postby homeboy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:09 am

A variety of clamps and welding magnets. For locking clamps I usually stick with Irwin but I picked up some cheap knockoffs at PA which work fine. Check them out first. Just lock them as tight as you can and if they don't deflect they are probably fine. For flap discs Zirconium is good, aluminum oxide is cheaper but wears much quicker.
homeboy
Ace

Postby tungstendipper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 am

homeboy wrote:A variety of clamps and welding magnets. For locking clamps I usually stick with Irwin but I picked up some cheap knockoffs at PA which work fine. Check them out first. Just lock them as tight as you can and if they don't deflect they are probably fine. For flap discs Zirconium is good, aluminum oxide is cheaper but wears much quicker.

Now your sending him down that dark hole that the rest of us have gone.....How many clamps and magnets are enough?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter
3 old socks
tungstendipper
Guide

Postby homeboy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 am

tungstendipper wrote:
homeboy wrote:A variety of clamps and welding magnets. For locking clamps I usually stick with Irwin but I picked up some cheap knockoffs at PA which work fine. Check them out first. Just lock them as tight as you can and if they don't deflect they are probably fine. For flap discs Zirconium is good, aluminum oxide is cheaper but wears much quicker.

Now your sending him down that dark hole that the rest of us have gone.....How many clamps and magnets are enough?
Enough? Doesn't exist!! :roll:
homeboy
Ace

Postby cj737 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 pm

444e wrote:I noticed that Walter makes a Zipp wheel on Amazon but they are pretty expensive with a lot of different options. Can anyone shed some light on which of these wheels are best to get?

A good quality Metabo Slicer wheel works equally well too. I do use the Walters for stainless. Their 49 grit flapper and their Waffke disks are unrivaled for cleaning and cutting.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby bruce991 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I just bought myself a 10 inch compound miter chop saw for steel, plastic and wood off Amazon $200. Have yet to get it. I have been cutting all my materials with a 4 1/2 hand held grinder and it is getting old fast. Saw is an Evolution Tools Rage 3.
bruce991
Guide

Postby 444e » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:08 pm

bruce991 wrote:I just bought myself a 10 inch compound miter chop saw for steel, plastic and wood off Amazon $200. Have yet to get it. I have been cutting all my materials with a 4 1/2 hand held grinder and it is getting old fast. Saw is an Evolution Tools Rage 3.

my lws swears by the evolution circular saw. i have yet to get one as my wallet is still in shock from initial welding supplies and welder.
444e

Previous

Return to Metal Cutting