Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

Hello, so with the type of work I do I always have to clean the paint from the weld joint. Other than a wire wheel I cannot think of anything that is faster to do this. The metal is 16-22ga so I can’t just take a grinder or a flap disk to it so unless someone has a better option for cleaning paint without taking away metal I’m curious what everyone uses for wire wheels. I’ve been using generic wire wheels by looking for something that will give me a lot of life. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Take a look at these, supposed to work good and they don't throw wires at you

Amazon

Google search
Richard
Website
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

For cleaning smaller areas and joints like you are referring to I just use a 3-4in fairly course wire wheel in a high speed reversable drill. As the wire wheel starts to get a set just reverse it and it's always like new. Mine runs 3200 RPM. Throws wires a bit but nothing like a grinder at 10,000 -13,000 RPM. The composite wheels work well but the 2 types I tried did wear out pretty quickly.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can get flap disks in finer grits (120 or so) that will peel paint but not grind the metal. I like loose knot wire wheels for corners when its prep or paint removal, personally.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

LtBadd wrote:Take a look at these, supposed to work good and they don't throw wires at you

Amazon

Google search
I’ve used these and they don’t load up with paint. Depending on the paint your grinding there equal too or better than a wire wheel. Without the flying wire needles.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

https://www.walter.com/products/-/produ ... ing/fx-cup

I know Walter is expensive but the last a long time compared to the cheeper alternative.

I believe with this style you can trim the edge just like a flap disk. And if you read the specs, the work more optimally at 6k rpm and not the 10k+ that a regular grinder operates at. Gotta get the Metabo with the variable speed!

Homemade wrote:https://www.walter.com/products/-/produ ... ing/fx-cup

I know Walter is expensive but the last a long time compared to the cheeper alternative.

I believe with this style you can trim the edge just like a flap disk. And if you read the specs, the work more optimally at 6k rpm and not the 10k+ that a regular grinder operates at. Gotta get the Metabo with the variable speed!
+1 for Walter products
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

+1+ +1 for Walter wheels.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

I already use Walter zip wheels and flap discs so it no surprise that they would make good wire wheels and paint removal products. Just wasn’t sure if those were worth it but it seems like I’ll have to invest in some more Walter products! Thanks everyone!