Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

One of my customers did a clean up in a junk room and uncovered a lathe.
I've been looking for a cheap older but reasonable lathe for my shop for basic repair work - bushes, shafts etc. so I would offer to buy if I knew it was any good.
I've read what I find on the web which is not very much. I take it these were good entry level machines in their day. I know very little about turning. I would like some advice on what to look for and what you think I should offer for this machine if it checks out OK. Don't forget I'm in OZ.
Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
L1.jpg
L1.jpg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
L2.jpg
L2.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
L7.jpg
L7.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
L9.jpg
L9.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I don't recognize the Colchester/Triumph models, but here in the States, Colchester/Clausing lathe are very, very good machines. Despite their age, they are worth the purchase for the type of work you mentioned. You'll obviously need to do some teardown and cleaning of that one, but if the price were reasonable, I'd buy it.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Coldman wrote:One of my customers did a clean up in a junk room and uncovered a lathe.
I've been looking for a cheap older but reasonable lathe for my shop for basic repair work - bushes, shafts etc. so I would offer to buy if I knew it was any good.
I've read what I find on the web which is not very much. I take it these were good entry level machines in their day. I know very little about turning. I would like some advice on what to look for and what you think I should offer for this machine if it checks out OK. Don't forget I'm in OZ.
Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
L1.jpg
L2.jpg
L7.jpg
L9.jpg
It great lathe note it is gap lathe with gap still in place

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Assuming it's not been too badly treated that is a very nice lathe & not what I'd class as " entry level " it's one model larger than my every day small job Colchester - I keep trying for a Colchester / Triumph 2000 but they make crazy money if good so for the moment I'll keep my big Harrison - probably take a while to strip / clean / paint / adjust etc but well worth the effort - as a first machine you should be happy - they don't make them like that quality now - I'd guess it's circa 1960ish but could be wrong - I'm not that Sheldon on them but it looks the same basic model line as mine & the same shape prior to when they squared off all the casting corners- so what do you intend to use it for ? can you power it or run a VFD for it ? I seem to read here constantly posts about fucked up weird wiring & wiring restrictions abroard -maybe the one thing the UK has going for it is normal power ! so now you gotta watch Keith Fenner or similar for machining tips & tricks ! unless Jody branches out - any how good luck with it.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

To determine a value, you might check EBay for "completed transactions" on this lathe. That would give you an approximation of what the market feels is the value of the machine. Hopefully you can strike a good deal.

The web has many entries on "what to look for in a used lathe" so i hope this can work out for you. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I watch the logs of a machinist in Alaska who occasionally rebuilds older equipment. He hasn't rebuilt one of this brand, but there are a number of rebuilds on his page, and in the chat forum there are more discussions about repair and purchasing of used equipment.

http://www.docsmachine.com/projects/machine.html

Be aware, the site can be an amazing time sink, to say nothing of the associated web-comic related to the paintball/air-smithing business that he has.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I know only a little more than you. I say that because I was in your shoes a little earlier.

Mine was built for a 540 RPM line shaft, I'd guess 1915. To match speed, I found a three speed gearbox built for the purpose in 1939. Adding a jackshaft, I geared it down where it needs to be.

Mine is Economy, by Rockford. I can turn 20" diameter, by 50" length between centers.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Thanks guys, useful info.
I bit more info I've found out:
the lathe has a swing of 15" (I presume that means it turn a 15"shaft) x 44" max length to tailstock.
It's a very good quality and desirable machine but has been standing for 30 years under junk so needs a significant tear down to restore all the surfaces. I would say the motor bearings should be replaced. Just gotta get the right price, will keep you posted. Not much historical pricing on this this lathe out there. I think the machine is from the 1960's.

@Smithdoor I don't know what gap lathe means, sorry for my ignorance, can you please explain?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Coldman wrote:Thanks guys, useful info.
I bit more info I've found out:
the lathe has a swing of 15" (I presume that means it turn a 15"shaft) x 44" max length to tailstock.
It's a very good quality and desirable machine but has been standing for 30 years under junk so needs a significant tear down to restore all the surfaces. I would say the motor bearings should be replaced. Just gotta get the right price, will keep you posted. Not much historical pricing on this this lathe out there. I think the machine is from the 1960's.

@Smithdoor I don't know what gap lathe means, sorry for my ignorance, can you please explain?
The carriage is on the right side this only used on gap lathes

There is a short section of bed can be removed for greater swing

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
GG78
    Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 am

Nice I have a roundhead Triumph and a Master hopefully soon a second Triumph as mine is a bit loose !

Cracking machines and worth there weight in gold :)

David