Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Metal Manipulator
    Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am

I have some copper sheet that is .030 thick and was thinking of cutting it with a plasma, my concern is will the copper warp being so thin?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On a sheet that thin, you can move VERY rapidly, minimizing heat input. The trick here is to have cutting guides in place. Trying to free-hand such thin material accurately is difficult at best, and slows you down adding to distortion.

Fences for straight lines, templates for curves. The faster you move, the less warpage you cause. Aluminum is a good choice for both fences and templates, as it serves as a heat sink, again minimizing distortion.

Steve
Metal Manipulator
    Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:On a sheet that thin, you can move VERY rapidly, minimizing heat input. The trick here is to have cutting guides in place. Trying to free-hand such thin material accurately is difficult at best, and slows you down adding to distortion.

Fences for straight lines, templates for curves. The faster you move, the less warpage you cause. Aluminum is a good choice for both fences and templates, as it serves as a heat sink, again minimizing distortion.

Steve
Thank you Steve
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Good point Steve, I never thought about using aluminum instead of steel as a guide when plasma cutting thin stuff, learn something new every darn day I tell ya. :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225