Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
lostinc
    Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:52 pm

First,
I love the idea of this forum...i have been reading many posts. Thanks to all who contribute and help people out.

I have read and watched videos about the 1/7 or 1/10 1/15 rule. I am using larger tanks 248.68/129.83 SCF and victor 350 series cutting tip= 1-1-101 and welding tip = size 2 um-350. So no problems (plus flash back arrestors).
I have been searching for days now....and i know the answer is obvious to most...but i feel better seeing it in writing. I have not been able to find it NO WHERE.

QUESTION: If i was welding more than an hour. (full tanks)...what happens then. From what i have read....it should not matter.
Just for example sake....something that would not actually happen ....but what if i welded for two hours using the tanks and specs above....is there any danger? Oh..i am still a bit confused about the 1/7 rule....doe it apply to the full tank capacity or do you have to keep doing the math as the tank goes down. I think that would not make sense...
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your at or under the limit then you will be fine. In reality when you figure in fit up time and all the little breaks (like bathroom, or getting a drink) then even the most productive welders have a hard time maintaining over 80% weld time compared to actual time passed. I’ve seen the actual results from a current sensing timer for electric arc welding. Even when the operator knows the timer is there it doesn’t make that much difference. All the little minutes for things like dropping a filler wire and grabbing another one add up.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
lostinc

Poland308 wrote:If your at or under the limit then you will be fine. In reality when you figure in fit up time and all the little breaks (like bathroom, or getting a drink) then even the most productive welders have a hard time maintaining over 80% weld time compared to actual time passed. I’ve seen the actual results from a current sensing timer for electric arc welding. Even when the operator knows the timer is there it doesn’t make that much difference. All the little minutes for things like dropping a filler wire and grabbing another one add up.
Thanks for the reply!!!! It makes sense what you stated...however, the situation is hard to explain..but there might be others using that same torch setup. Even then...your point is valid.

And...do you agree to get that "limit"...it is based on the full tank capacity when you divide by 7 (or 10 etc)?
Poland308

Yes those numbers will get you close. Ambient tank temperature is also another big factor. If it’s truly a concern then I would make everyone who works off of the setup aware of the signs of over drawing a tank. Green flame or dripping green flaming liquid coming from the torch is acetone being carried out of the tank along with the acetylene. There are some work arounds. You might consider manifoling several tanks togeather so that your drawing off of several tanks rather than just one. That’s common for large use applications.

Josh
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Error :o
Last edited by smithdoor on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

smithdoor wrote:Victor does charts the place I have found the chart is at my supplier.
I lost mind years ago.

Dave
lostinc wrote:First,
I love the idea of this forum...i have been reading many posts. Thanks to all who contribute and help people out.

I have read and watched videos about the 1/7 or 1/10 1/15 rule. I am using larger tanks 248.68/129.83 SCF and victor 350 series cutting tip= 1-1-101 and welding tip = size 2 um-350. So no problems (plus flash back arrestors).
I have been searching for days now....and i know the answer is obvious to most...but i feel better seeing it in writing. I have not been able to find it NO WHERE.

QUESTION: If i was welding more than an hour. (full tanks)...what happens then. From what i have read....it should not matter.
Just for example sake....something that would not actually happen ....but what if i welded for two hours using the tanks and specs above....is there any danger? Oh..i am still a bit confused about the 1/7 rule....doe it apply to the full tank capacity or do you have to keep doing the math as the tank goes down. I think that would not make sense...
lostinc

Poland308 wrote:Yes those numbers will get you close. Ambient tank temperature is also another big factor. If it’s truly a concern then I would make everyone who works off of the setup aware of the signs of over drawing a tank. Green flame or dripping green flaming liquid coming from the torch is acetone being carried out of the tank along with the acetylene. There are some work arounds. You might consider manifoling several tanks togeather so that your drawing off of several tanks rather than just one. That’s common for large use applications.
Not sure what happened...but what i wrote did not go through...thanks again for the reply. Instead of re writing...i will just ask this:

Keeping ambient temp in mind....do you CONFIRM....that you use the FULL tank cubic feet capacity when you dived by 7 or the new 1/10 etc and compare to the proper numbers of tip in victor manual. Or do you re-calculate as the tank is used up. Say it is half full...
Poland308

Full tank. Because the exposed surface of the liquid acetone is the same no mater how much acetylene is actually left. That multiplier is the short method of figuring out boil off rates without liquid carryover.

Josh
lostinc

Poland308 wrote:Full tank. Because the exposed surface of the liquid acetone is the same no mater how much acetylene is actually left. That multiplier is the short method of figuring out boil off rates without liquid carryover.
Such a smart answer. Makes sense. Thanks for all your help.
kwhit190211
    Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 am

This is a first for me guys. I really don'y know what your talking about. If you talking about when you take a break other that that I have no idea. When I got the torch all set up & strung the hose out to where I had to take it. I started cutting until the job was done. If it took a 1/2 or 5 hours it didn't matter to me. If I was cutting bolts out from a flange or burning down through the bolt, if it would not drive out of the flange. No matter what size of bolt, I kept at it until they were all out or I had to go to the can. I kept at it. Sure I took a break if I had too, but not usually. I enjoyed using a torch. Or even if I had to air arc a really thick valve stem out of a stainless steel valve, I kept at it until I cut the stem completely, then made another cut until it was managable in size to remove. That's just how I am.