Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Look at all them finger grabbers!
Look at all them finger grabbers!
Hercy 3.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Great excitement here in South Horse Trailer.

Was offered a lathe via a mate...stuck my hand up for it, expecting to make an offer...and the price was...FREE! :D Wow. (Okay, I gave them a carton of Coopers Pale Ale for it.)

Given away by a local school. It gets better. It is in amazing condition, regularly serviced, and there's a whole support community for this lathe, with good parts availability. (It's a local copy of a South Bend 9 Inch). 260mm (10 inch) swing over bed, 535mm (don't know what that is in Freedom Units) centre-to-centre.

Took 6 people to get it off the trailer. Came with many accessories. It's 3-phase, so shopping for VFD's now. Woo-hoo! You couldn't scrub the smile off my face with a wire brush.
Attachments
My Hercy. Wife's Mini for scale.
My Hercy. Wife's Mini for scale.
Hercy 1.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
Vintage South Oz gold.
Vintage South Oz gold.
Hercy 2.jpg (59.15 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

535mm is equivalent to 22" give or take ;) Defines the length of part that can be machined between centers.

I can't tell from the pictures, but does it cut metric and SAE threads? If so, that's a great little lathe!!! It may require a change in gears to do it, but its still rather handy to have, and for FREE, its a helluva deal

cj737 wrote:535mm is equivalent to 22" give or take ;) Defines the length of part that can be machined between centers.

I can't tell from the pictures, but does it cut metric and SAE threads? If so, that's a great little lathe!!! It may require a change in gears to do it, but its still rather handy to have, and for FREE, its a helluva deal

Thanks CJ. It is set up to cut metric threads, and since I don't own anything that takes imperial threads...and don't intend to, that's just fine! :lol: But seriously, yes, it can be adapted to cut imperial threads should I ever choose to embrace the Freedom Increment.

And yeah, a helluva deal...I am so happy. I have been yearning for my own lathe for about 10 years and was very close to buying a cheapo Chinesium lathe earlier this year.

K
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Nice looking lathe and looks in good condition.

I just finished putting on a Digital Read Out on my lathe , just this morning.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Not too much longer and the Minni Will be outside, and the lathe will have the middle of the garage bay like it needs.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Great score Kim, beautiful machine...congrats
Richard
Website

Thanks guys.

Josh, regarding the wife's Mini...I'd better behave. What you can't see is the other side of the garage, which already has two of my motorcycles, my welding bench, all my welding gear and my gun safe. And my shed out the back is full. So I'd better let the Mini stay inside!

K
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Some guys have all the luck! Nice find Man!! :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225