Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

I suggested this video to Project Farm about 6 months ago and it's finally here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_v89ZU2Zsk

Comments?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I think by his results, the DeWalt wins. % of mass lost at the wheel vs % of material removed / cost. Second cheapest, 2nd most effective has to make for the best value. And widely available makes for ease of replenishing.

But I still use Walter discs ;)
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Very thorough and non bias test set up. Too bad Walter and pferd were not in the selection.

Are you gonna do flap disks next?

I posted this thread on his channel so I know he will read it. If he does flapper wheels, I hope he does this brand too. https://benchmarkabrasives.com/collections/flap-discs
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

But the question remains. Will my lawn mower run on used grinding wheels?

weldin mike 27 wrote:But the question remains. Will my lawn mower run on used grinding wheels?
Mike, looking forward to that video! :lol:
Richard
Website
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Homemade wrote:Very thorough and non bias test set up. Too bad Walter and pferd were not in the selection.

Are you gonna do flap disks next?
Yeah i wonder how Walter wheels would compare, i did a 2 day job last year and the guy told me dont worry i got the grinders and welder here, i just need you. Young and dumb i was so i marched over and he had 2 new dewalt grinders and just the wheels that came with the grinder. and a lot of cheap 4 1/2 inch cutting wheels. Which lasted a full 30 seconds apiece. i wore down the wheels in no time and quit early that day. Came back the next with my 6" Walter HP wheels and ZipCuts I used no more than 1/4 of one HP wheel (Tho id done 60% of the grinding the previous day) But in my opinion cutoff wheels is where brand name stuff shines. ZipCuts outlasted the cheapies 5x easy.

weldin mike 27 wrote:But the question remains. Will my lawn mower run on used grinding wheels?
That's FUNNY!! :lol:
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737

He seems to be a pretty good bloke. I don't watch it all the time, but I've seen a few.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I think grinding wheels are a waste of time and coinage. Get some turbo backer style retainers and buy a collection of ceramics and zircons in various grits.If you need to round out fillets put the 5" fiber on a 4 1/2 backer. Works like a champ and cost chump change. It's also lighter and easier on the grinder.
Flaps are the worlds dumbest waste unless you work on a lot of stainless or roll bars, bike frames and super fine work like that.
Opinions. Opinions.Options :roll:
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Antorcha wrote:I think grinding wheels are a waste of time and coinage. Get some turbo backer style retainers and buy a collection of ceramics and zircons in various grits.If you need to round out fillets put the 5" fiber on a 4 1/2 backer. Works like a champ and cost chump change. It's also lighter and easier on the grinder.
Flaps are the worlds dumbest waste unless you work on a lot of stainless or roll bars, bike frames and super fine work like that.
Opinions. Opinions.Options :roll:
I agreed with you till you dissed my flap wheels 8-) they won’t blow up if you hit a sharp edge wrong and last a long time if you get quality ones. But they aren’t cheap, I agree if you’re just starting out I like your idea.

Is this what you guys call a flap disc?
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-11-16-16-19-17.png
Screenshot_2018-11-16-16-19-17.png (539.88 KiB) Viewed 2844 times

That would be a flap disc. :shock:
What do they call it down under?
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

4play :)

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225

That is cool! I don't we around here are that polished?
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737

Glad I don't have to use that system to polish, what a mess that would make, also using a grinder like that if you don't hold it absolutely flat to the material you'll put low spots that are hell to get out YMMV
Richard
Website

Just checking. I have that combi click system, but the discs are very expensive.
kwhit190211
    Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 am

I've used a lot of different kinds & types of grinding wheels over a 38 year period of grinding chamfers on the ends of pipe as a Journeyman Pipefitter. Other than using a torch to free hand cutting the chamfer. And, the best grinding wheel that I have used in those 38 years isn't any of choic, in a video shown on You Tube. My top choise is "SAIT" brand grinding wheels And, I also use their cutting wheels as well. They do a tremendously great job. And, last a long time as well.