Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello, as per the title. can it be done? Thanks
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If it's a cutting torch yes no problem it's just a different nozzle - if it's a welding torch most but not all will burn propane with the same nozzles - certainly the common BOC / Saphires do - not sure what you have - obviously you get less heat per same nozzle size due to calorific values & lighting is slightly more difficult as it's easy to blow out the propane flame till you get the hang of it but it's perfectly possible & over here where you get raped by BOC for gas most folks cut / heat with propane.
burnttoast

Thanks for responding. I don't have anything yet. just getting info. on what to get. I'm just a hobbyist and it's a lot easier and cheaper to get propane than acetylene. from what I've seen on the web, propane torches cost the same or even more than a acetylene torch. I just need it to heat stuff up and the occasional cutting. I use quite a bit of the mapp gas cylinders from my local H depot. and sometimes it takes forever to heat something up to be able to bend it.
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

I do it. Heating, cutting and brazing. You can’t weld with propane because the heat isn’t concentrated enough to get the small weld pool like acetylene has. Propane has more total btu’s which is good for heatin and so on. But acetylene has I higher neutral flame temp.

Cutting tips differ but the torch it self is the same.

I forget which is which, but they say you need R rated hoses for propane, cause the cheaper T rated hoses deteriorate on the inside from the propane.

Other then that, the regulators are the same. Lighting technique is a little different but not that hard when you get the hang of it.
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Been using the same acetylene rated hoses for propane for 30 years with no problems. If any problems develop I'll let You know. :mrgreen:
burnttoast

Thanks for the answers. what type of adapter do I need to fit the acetylene gauge onto the propane tank. Thanks again
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

When I hooked up my propane cylinder, I used a dedicated propane gauge instead of the Acetylene gauge.

Just an example, but here is one:
https://www.amazon.com/S%C3%9CA-Propane ... B018IMTMP0
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

mcostello wrote:Been using the same acetylene rated hoses for propane for 30 years with no problems. If any problems develop I'll let You know. :mrgreen:
I didn’t want to be the one to say that first to but mine too lasted for a couple decades. I don’t use them daily though And always open the valves on the torch to let all the gases out when I’m finished. At least in my case i knew when it’s time to get rid of them because they start showing exterior surface cracks especially near the torch connections and just generally looking shitty.
All I can say is make sure you get the biggest tanks you can own personally if you go that route. These days it will cost you nearly as much to fill a 125 as a 20 CF tank. See what kind of a deal you can swing from a local welding supply mom and pop operation if you can find one. Stay as far away from Airgas Imageas possible if you don’t want to be raped on gas prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Homemade

No special adapters for useing acetylene gauged sbd regulator in s propane tank.
burnttoast

Hello all,checked with the local tractor supply store and they have a exchange program where if you purchase the o2 tank from them, you can do an exchange. they don't do refills or accept outside tanks. I saw on ebay where I can purchase a much larger tank cheaper but it comes empty. the info says that it is DOT compliant. which is the better option? Thanks
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

drizler1 wrote:Stay as far away from Airgas as possible if you don’t want to be raped on gas prices.
Not to mention dinged for "hazmat" on ER70-S2 filler rod...
I had to double and triple check that receipt, and haven't been back since finding that extra bit of profiteering.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Homemade

Roomer has it, owned tanks are always short filled, where leased tanks are fuller. They will get there pound of flesh outta you either way.

I was looking at 80cu ft oxygen tank for my house. I ended up getting a 125cu ft tank because the amount of more o2 you get for a little more $$ made sense. I think it’s like $40 for a 125 o2 exchange.
burnttoast

Hello all. got my oxy propane rig set up. right now I'm playing around with it. is there anything that I need to know as far as what type of flame am I looking for in the heating attachment, or is it straight forward. tried the cutting tip, looks like snot. took me several tries before I was able to cut the metal. no experience with this stuff. should be interesting as long as I don't blow myself, or my garage up.Thanks
Homemade

https://youtu.be/f2amO0T3vkQ

This is a good vid of how to dial in an oxy propane Rig.
burnttoast

Homemade wrote:https://youtu.be/f2amO0T3vkQ

This is a good vid of how to dial in an oxy propane Rig.
thanks for the vid. another question. when I initially light the torch, should there be a slight gap between the nozzle and flame, or should the flame be up against the nozzle? Thanks
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

burnttoast wrote:Hello all,checked with the local tractor supply store and they have a exchange program where if you purchase the o2 tank from them, you can do an exchange. they don't do refills or accept outside tanks. I saw on ebay where I can purchase a much larger tank cheaper but it comes empty. the info says that it is DOT compliant. which is the better option? Thanks
This is a can of worms, and in my mind worthy of a sticky on any welding forum. Local rules for cylinder filling or exchange or ownership vary from place to place. Around here, for instance, only an 80 cf tank or 20 pound co2 can be customer owned, anything larger is a rental.

The question with an Ebay or Craiglist tank is who *really* owns the tank. I often see large cylinders "for sale" on CL around here- but the LWS owns all those large size tanks, so if you "buy" the tank on CL and bring it to the LWS for exchange, they'll say "Thank you for returning our property, please fill out these forms if you'd like to rent a tank". Meaning the CL seller illegally accepted money for someone else's property, and you're out the money.

Another tip for a 20 pound co2 tank: if it is stamped with "Coke" or "Coca-Cola" or "Pepsi" then the owner is Coke or Pepsi, so don't buy it.

Local rules take priority, so the trick is to find out the rules in your area before you buy.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Homemade

Yes it’s normal to have the flame a few inches away from the tip. Just crack the oxygen a lil and it will bring it back.
burnttoast

Artie F. Emm wrote:
burnttoast wrote:Hello all,checked with the local tractor supply store and they have a exchange program where if you purchase the o2 tank from them, you can do an exchange. they don't do refills or accept outside tanks. I saw on ebay where I can purchase a much larger tank cheaper but it comes empty. the info says that it is DOT compliant. which is the better option? Thanks
This is a can of worms, and in my mind worthy of a sticky on any welding forum. Local rules for cylinder filling or exchange or ownership vary from place to place. Around here, for instance, only an 80 cf tank or 20 pound co2 can be customer owned, anything larger is a rental.

The question with an Ebay or Craiglist tank is who *really* owns the tank. I often see large cylinders "for sale" on CL around here- but the LWS owns all those large size tanks, so if you "buy" the tank on CL and bring it to the LWS for exchange, they'll say "Thank you for returning our property, please fill out these forms if you'd like to rent a tank". Meaning the CL seller illegally accepted money for someone else's property, and you're out the money.

Another tip for a 20 pound co2 tank: if it is stamped with "Coke" or "Coca-Cola" or "Pepsi" then the owner is Coke or Pepsi, so don't buy it.

Local rules take priority, so the trick is to find out the rules in your area before you buy.
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a 80 cf tank from a local welding supply place.
burnttoast

Thanks for the replies. ended up purchasing a 80 cf tank from a local welding supply place.
burnttoast

Hello all, are the cutting tips sizing the same for propane and acetylene? also if I have a tip that can cut 3/4 thick metal, does that mean it will cut anything smaller, or do I need something for cutting smaller stuff. thanks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Tips are generally derated a little if your using an oxy acetylene one with propane. Yes a big tip will cut anything smaller. However the curf of the cut IE (width of material lost during the cut) will be larger with a larger tip. Maybe acceptable depending on needs. Quality of the cut edge is also sacrificed when you use a larger tip then necessary, often requiring more clean up after. there is an efficiency issue to consider, using a larger tip than necessary also costs you more gas use per inches of cut, and may put more heat into the cut material than needed causing warping.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
burnttoast

Thanks, guess will be buying smaller tips.
pigpen60
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:00 pm

When I hauled scrap I used propane, the 100lb cylinder lasted forever or so it seemed. As for tips I ordered a 2 piece tip for ease of cleaning.
kwhit190211
    Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 am

You can use propane with no trouble. But, you can also use natural gas as well. You just have to cgange the tips. But, only if you go from Acetylene to propane & natural gas. Those last 2 gases use the same type of tips. And, you won't have to change the mixer of the torch, either, for any of these 3 gases. But, if you use Propylene, then you need to change the mixer. You really don't have to use brazing tips to weld. You can use the cutting tip to weld just keep your fingers away from the cutting lever & everything is fine.