Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I am thinking of getting a plasma cutter. My needs in terms of speed and duty cycle are limited as a home gamer. Most of what I'd do be 1/4" where I need quality cutting, with occasional sheet metal and rare thicker stock (1/2" with coarse cutting ability), for outdoor sculptures. My shop has 220V and adequate compressed air.

Am looking at HTP MicroCut 600 which is about $1,100 and the Hypertherm Powermax 30XP, at about $1420.

Trouble is I know nothing about plasma cutters and have never used one. What should I consider before pulling the trigger?
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

You wouldn't go wrong with the Hypertherm 30 air with its own built in air pump. It will do what you want easily and with 120/240 capability it's completely portable as well. Not the cheapest but well worth the money.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I've used a 30XP (bought one at work), and I have an HTP MicroCut 875sc. Both are awesome, the 30XP can be dialed down for cutting thinner material, where as the 875sc is a brute force beast whose lowest setting IS 30A, lol. I'm sure the MicroCut600 will work just fine for you, but the 875sc simply rocks. I would not suggest the 30 Air simply because you already have a compressor, so some of it's power consumption is used for the compressor not for the plasma arc for cutting power. Unless you really really needed that kind of portability. The 30XP has slightly faster cutting ability than the 30 Air.
homeboy

Oscar wrote:I've used a 30XP (bought one at work), and I have an HTP MicroCut 875sc. Both are awesome, the 30XP can be dialed down for cutting thinner material, where as the 875sc is a brute force beast whose lowest setting IS 30A, lol. I'm sure the MicroCut600 will work just fine for you, but the 875sc simply rocks. I would not suggest the 30 Air simply because you already have a compressor, so some of it's power consumption is used for the compressor not for the plasma arc for cutting power. Unless you really really needed that kind of portability. The 30XP has slightly faster cutting ability than the 30 Air.
All depends what you want to do with it. In my case I wanted something portable as I do go out once once and a while to do odd little jobs and the 30 air fit the bill perfectly. I have made a few decent cuts on 5/8 bucket edge, slowly. With a good set of consumables 1/2 plate cuts quite nicely.

Exactly, it all depends what the end user needs. The OP didn't specify nor prioritize portability/use without an available compressor, since he already has a compressor, which is why I suggested the 30XP over the 30 Air.
homeboy

koenbro is in exactly the same position I was in a couple of years ago. His last sentence says it all. The only thing that I knew about plasma cutters was that I wanted one! After researching I found out there were portable self contained units that fit the ticket for my personal use, after that it was a choice of brand and model. As with the purchase or build of any piece of equipment I always try to imagine as many possible present and future uses as possible and aim for that end. Forums, reviews, manufactures specs and history, parts and dealer availability, warranty etc, all parts of the equation to make the right choice.

My problem is that I don't know what I don't know. My shop has an air compressor, and I have 220V; the majority of time I will be in the shop. I prefer not to get a plasma cutter with a built-in compressor, because of cost and noise (my compressor is in auxiliary room, and it's a quiet California Air model). If I ever do work outside, having 120V is more important -- worse case, I can move the compressor.

My fave right now is the HTP 600, because of the output amperage range (10-40A), no compressor and lower cost ($1,100). The Hyperterm 30 (no compressor) has dual voltage, and 15-30A range; website says will do severance cuts at 1/2" for $1400. The Miller Spectrum 375 has dual voltage, 14-30A, rated for 3/8" (I presume that's what the "375" in the name means), for $1400 MSRP.

So it comes down to the extra 10amps the HTP offers versus the dual voltage, and better name recognition and wider availability of consummables the Hypertherm and Miller offer.

Will I miss the extra 10 amps if I go with either the latter two?
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Hyperthermia usually is rated lower in cost of receivables. Miller is often rated lighter physically than a hyperterm. The Hyperthermia 45 is probably their sweet spot in capability/price. I don’t know much about HTP other than having a solid reputation.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Then there is always this 1/4 in rated 40 amp unit for under $1000, that will cut up to 5/8ths on 240 volts.
https://store.cyberweld.com/thdycu42plcu.html

OR maybe better yet...this 60 amp unit rated for 1/2 inch but will do severance cuts up to 1 1/8th inches, for less than they Hypertherm 30XP ($1375)

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... r-1-5130-1
Multimatic 255
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Don't get hung up on what amps a maker claims - without a cutting voltage stated the actual cut energy available is unknown - most of the cheaper units will just barely cut they're claimed capacity while eating consumables quickly & leaving a poor cut quality often with " angled wash " on the curf - generally a Hypertherm will have lower running cost in consumable life - consistent straight cut & will easily cut @ a decent travel speed the rated capacity - actual maximum cut being quite a bit more - maybe Jim can chime in on this one & clarify things.
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

My 2 cents: I've owned my Hypertherm Powermax 60 for 2 weeks now, have made multiple cuts using the "fine" tip consumable and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I cut 1/4" steel over the weekend "almost like cutting butter". Cut was super clean, almost no cleanup required after cutting and it did so effortlessly. Yes, I spent more on this unit but after having been burned with the cheap chinese models from Eastwood, it was worth every penny. The peace of mind knowing it's going to work when you need it to was also worth the extra costs to me.
Ok, there's my 2 cents and it's likely not worth that much. :D

RPat wrote:My 2 cents: [...] Yes, I spent more on this unit but after having been burned with the cheap chinese models from Eastwood, it was worth every penny. The peace of mind knowing it's going to work when you need it to was also worth the extra costs to me.
Cheap Chinese junk does not get to play. The question is between Hypertherm, Miller, and HTP. I do not need production- or pro-grade cutting power. I will mostly do 1/8 - 1/4”.

Access to consumables and accessories, and dual power are right now my main concerns, but I am learning something from every reply. Thank you all.

I do not have the money or need for a CNC table (although it would be NICE) but I might get the circle cutting jig and then make some of my own as the need arises.

Any thoughts on sleds, jigs, accessories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

The Thermal Dynamics are an excellent value for the money that is for sure. I was looking at some vids on YouTube on the Thermal Dynamics cutters, and they are pretty darn good!.

All three of your listed choices would be excellent, as is the Thermal Dynamics as well. You won't go wrong with any of those. Just make sure to look up your consumables so you know ahead of time where to get them and how much they will cost.

I recommend having (at minimum):
  • 2-3 extra electrodes
  • 3-5 extra cutting tips (aka nozzles)
  • 2 extra drag shields
  • 2 extra non-drag shields
  • 1-2 extra swirl rings
  • 1 extra shielding cup body
Many of those manufacturers offer Consumable kits that have most if not all of those parts, but I like even more extras as well. All you need is one crappy/careless start to foul up a cutting tip/shield real quick.

Also, you can pick up a voltage transformer on Ebay/Amazon for not too much if you need to use a 240V-only machine on 120V. Lite Fuze 5000

I picked up a barely used one on Ebay for $100 (brand new is $180 on Amazon). You'll still be limited to the power available from a standard 20A outlet (roughly 2400W), but so are the dual voltage 120/240V machines anyways. I'm going to be modifying mine to it can have a standard Nema 6-50 receptacle as opposed to those funky European 220 outlets. I got the 5000W model to make sure it wouldn't be a bottle neck.

I don't have a plasma, but it was my impression thru reading this forum (and others) that Miller was not considered a good buy, as Jim Colt has explained the cost of ownership doesn't end with the purchase, however if your not doing production work then perhaps the picture is a bit different.
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

LtBadd wrote:I don't have a plasma, but it was my impression thru reading this forum (and others) that Miller was not considered a good buy, as Jim Colt has explained the cost of ownership doesn't end with the purchase, however if your not doing production work then perhaps the picture is a bit different.
You probably don't have 3 old socks too.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

LtBadd wrote:I don't have a plasma, but it was my impression thru reading this forum (and others) that Miller was not considered a good buy, as Jim Colt has explained the cost of ownership doesn't end with the purchase, however if your not doing production work then perhaps the picture is a bit different.
While that is true, the same is true of almost any welding/cutting apparatus. It's just a matter of making the list (perhaps on a spreadsheet) to account for future costs/expenses. The Miller plasma cutters sure are on the high-end of the spectrum for their given abilities, partly because they dual-voltage which usually drives up the cost a good bit. But I will say one thing, they are compact!

Oscar wrote: While that is true, the same is true of almost any welding/cutting apparatus. It's just a matter of making the list (perhaps on a spreadsheet) to account for future costs/expenses. The Miller plasma cutters sure are on the high-end of the spectrum for their given abilities, partly because they dual-voltage which usually drives up the cost a good bit. But I will say one thing, they are compact!
let me be specific, it was my impression (could be wrong) that the Miller units seemed to visit the repair shop more so then others.
Richard
Website
RPat

My supplier told me about 1 year ago that Miller started making parts in China (some parts?). Could that be the cause of repairs? I don't know, but I was not pleased to hear that about Miller. I despise giving our future enemy any of my $$ but depending on what you're looking for, it's difficult to find non-China made goods/widgets.

HERE is an answer given by Jim Colt of Hypertherm to someone looking for advice on buying a unit
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:
Oscar wrote: While that is true, the same is true of almost any welding/cutting apparatus. It's just a matter of making the list (perhaps on a spreadsheet) to account for future costs/expenses. The Miller plasma cutters sure are on the high-end of the spectrum for their given abilities, partly because they dual-voltage which usually drives up the cost a good bit. But I will say one thing, they are compact!
let me be specific, it was my impression (could be wrong) that the Miller units seemed to visit the repair shop more so then others.
Could be. But if Lincoln, Esab, Thermal Dynamics had their own forums where owners could post up their problems/issues, that would shift the perspective as well. Miller is the only one with their own forums, so it's easier (IMO) to find documentation of problems with Miller units, just for that sole reason. Of course I could be wrong as well, lol.
cj737

RPat wrote:My supplier told me about 1 year ago that Miller started making parts in China (some parts?). Could that be the cause of repairs?
If you think Miller is the only company on earth that sources parts from Asia, you’re very naive. And not all parts that come from Asia are poor quality, but it has certainly become an easy target of mythology for identifying the cause of breakage and warranty claims.

You detest sending $ abroad to purchase things, yet the very phone/tablet/computer you’re using to rant is made in Asia. Ironic, huh?

As to whether any brand is more or less reliable has everything to do with usage, treatment, and caliber of a machine. Take care of it, use it properly, and it will last. I have seen/heard folks on here opine that multiprocess welding machines aren’t for production. Hogwash. I’ve got a Miller MultiMatic 200 that for the past 5 weeks has been running 10 hours a day, 6 days a week without a hiccup. It’s holding its own next to a Passport wire feed. Too much myth and legend when providing product guidance. Stick to the facts.

Are more Miller plasma boxes in for repair? Maybe. But it could be due to their much large sales volume that even 0.01% of units in for repair is 10x greater than another brand whose repair units equate to 12% of their sales. See what I mean? Identify the needs of the buyer, and guide them with knowledge and great references (like Jim Colt). Leave the country-bashing out of it please.
cj737

RPat wrote:My supplier told me about 1 year ago that Miller started making parts in China (some parts?). Could that be the cause of repairs?
If you think Miller is the only company on earth that sources parts from Asia, you’re very naive. And not all parts that come from Asia are poor quality, but it has certainly become an easy target of mythology for identifying the cause of breakage and warranty claims.

You detest sending $ abroad to purchase things, yet the very phone/tablet/computer you’re using to rant is made in Asia. Ironic, huh?

As to whether any brand is more or less reliable has everything to do with usage, treatment, and caliber of a machine. Take care of it, use it properly, and it will last. I have seen/heard folks on here opine that multiprocess welding machines aren’t for production. Hogwash. I’ve got a Miller MultiMatic 200 that for the past 5 weeks has been running 10 hours a day, 6 days a week without a hiccup. It’s holding its own next to a Passport wire feed. Too much myth and legend when providing product guidance. Stick to the facts.

Are more Miller plasma boxes in for repair? Maybe. But it could be due to their much large sales volume that even 0.01% of units in for repair is 10x greater than another brand whose repair units equate to 12% of their sales. See what I mean? Identify the needs of the buyer, and guide them with knowledge and great references (like Jim Colt). Leave the country-bashing out of it please.

Very well said cj737.
cj737

Oscar wrote:Very well said cj737.
Must have been, it posted twice :oops:
RPat

Naive? Far from it. Ranting? It was my opinion just like your comments are your opinion. Everyone has one. You may not agree with mine and I may not agree with yours and that's ok.
FYI: I have a Miller 252 and it is a great machine. No problems at all with it. Unlike the 212 that I had, primary circuit board made in China, had tons of problems with it. So my comment still stands, some things made in China are not worth the money. And I will say it again, you can not avoid merchandise or equipment made in China even if you want to. That's just reality. The bottom line is: you get what you pay for. Taking care of poorly made/manufactured items, even if you take care of them religiously may or may not extend their life IF they're made poorly.
I am not a professional fabricator or welder as some of you are but I've been around a very long time and have a great deal of experience in many other areas. I run into the same situations there as well.
Thanks for the comments.