Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello all, I need to purchase a saw to cut tubing when I need to make straight and angle cuts for making stuff like carts, tables etc. I'm not sure if I should buy a chop saw or band saw. which one would be the most versatile? Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A Porta-band bandsaw is a great, versatile choice. You can even make a jig to hold it on your table to convert it to a chop saw. Also provides you the flexibility to use it at any angle, in varying conditions to make out of position cuts.

If you can only afford one, it would be a strong choice in my book.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Band saw clean straight accurate cuts no stink or dust metal doesn't get hot and most chop saws don't like really thick stuff but band saws will love it if you take time to break-in the blade on the first cut they usually last quite a while

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary

Depending on the size and wall thickness of tubing you want to cut, a band is good but not so much for production, abrasive saw =a big loud mess, however dry cut saw may be something to consider, especially if you're going to do production work.
Richard
Website
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for the responses. Not doing any production work. just hobbyist. I have a small garage that doubles for storage and work shop. Don't have much room for too many tools. so was trying to find out what's the most practical. Thanks

During black friday I bought the Baileigh portable bandsaw
I like that the vise doesn't move when cutting angles, and it seems well made. Haven't used it too much but so far it's good.
Richard
Website
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Richard,
Nice looking saw. Did you get the portable so you can take out on jobs? Or not enough space in the shop?
Mark
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I have two band saws and I wouldn't give them up for anything, except maybe a better band saw :) I have a portaband and 4x6 horizontal. Both cheapies from Harbor Freight, both work really well for me. I cut lots of angle iron, and square tubing on the horizontal saw for my projects, mainly 1 and 2 inch, .120 wall square tubing. It cuts it a lot faster than you would imagine. I like that the band saws are very quiet, don't disturb the neighbors, and I can use them in my basement in the middle of the night without waking the family. No sparks, minimal clean up, and accurate as heck. I love them.
Multimatic 255
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Absolutely the little 4x6 bandsaw is a workhorse take your time with a square and true the blade to the vice once and your good I also went to the auto parts store and bought a large 1/2 inch deep metal drip pan and set the saw on it then simply roll it off the pan and dump the metal dust keeps the place clean

Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Mike Westbrook wrote:Absolutely the little 4x6 bandsaw is a workhorse take your time with a square and true the blade to the vice once and your good I also went to the auto parts store and bought a large 1/2 inch deep metal drip pan and set the saw on it then simply roll it off the pan and dump the metal dust keeps the place clean

A very nice “upgrade” feature is to add coolant to the cutting blade. A simple fish tank pump, 5 gallon bucket and your drip pan. Pop a hole in the pan, use a filter to catch the scarf and recycle the coolant/cutting fluid. Will extend the life of your blade, make better cuts, and keep the blade super cool while working.

tungstendipper wrote:Richard,
Nice looking saw. Did you get the portable so you can take out on jobs? Or not enough space in the shop?
Mark
Small shop (2 car garage), I don't really want field work, although I have a customer that I have done work in their shop, but they also have a machine there.

The saw is a dry cut, although I don't get not using some sort of lube, think I'll pick up one of those lube sticks.
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have a harbor freight porta band and fell in love with it. I started using a cutting fluid and have changed over to bees wax until the darned mice got hungry and have to find more bees wax. Maybe if I get the mice big enough they can do the cutting for me.
Lt....thanks again for the help.
Bill
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I have a 4 x6" band saw that I bought from production tool about 20 years ago and it has sure come in handy over the years. I up dated to a Ellis 1600 last year and took my 4 x 6" up to our cabin where it still gets a lot of use, sure beats a hack saw! :)
The only time I use any lube is when cutting aluminum, I use a bees wax stick.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225