Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Sundragon
    Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:00 pm

I have a Victor SR 450D oxygen regulator.

They make this model in an A through E model:
The A-B-C-D-E after a Victor model number refers to the delivery pressure of the regulator. A=15psi, B=40psi, C=80psi, D=120 psi, and E=225psi

Unless otherwise stated in the description of repair kit, each Victor kit will repair all delivery pressures.

The regulator is fine for high pressure flows, but as I do some small brazing and would like to have better control over the pressure, 3 to 5 psi. It has a hard time regulating at low pressures.

Would it be possible to change it to an 80 PSI (C) model. I am guessing the difference is the needle seat. Are they available in different sizes from Victor??

Thanks
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

That's a question for Victor......
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

It's most likely only the spring tension that is different if the bodies are the same internally though generally the high pressure regulators have larger porting as they're primary purpose is for large cutting nozzles - biggest question is if the regulator is single or double stage as a lot of high pressure gauges are only single stage - if it's single stage you will never get a stable flame on small welding nozzles down to 3psi - for how little they cost if it were me I would buy a dual stage low pressure regulator & keep it dedicated for your brazing work.
Sundragon

Not sure if this would be useful info for anyone here, but I got a quick response from www.regulatortorchrepair.com.
Victor design, durability and versatility makes them worth the price IMHO.

They wrote:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Victor SR450. According to the parts breakdown, Victor does not make a “C” Range for the SR450. The make a A, B, D and E. To convert the regulator to a “B” all you need to do is replace the pressure adjusting spring. #5 and the pressure gauge. You can replace the relief valve if you want, but there is really no need.

The spring # that you need to convert to a “B” regulator is #0761-0005. We have the parts in stock. Your cost is $18.00 for the spring and $9.50 for a 60psi gauge.
Please give us a call if you would like to order, as we currently do no have these parts listed online.

Thanks,

Jim Billingsley
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Glad you got a reply - shows commitment to customers - I did think it would only be a spring change - but do make sure your dealing with a dual stage ( not to be confused with a dual gauge ) regulator or your wasting your time - be interested if you go ahead to hear your results.
Sundragon

noddybrian wrote:Glad you got a reply - shows commitment to customers - I did think it would only be a spring change - but do make sure your dealing with a dual stage ( not to be confused with a dual gauge ) regulator or your wasting your time - be interested if you go ahead to hear your results.
Spoke with Mr. Jim Billingsley, he said the spring change out will give me the lower pressure gradient I would need for low pressure welding, that's why the make the A through E springs just for this purpose. All the other components are the same with exception of the low pressure gauge. I ordered complete rebuild kits for both O and A regulators. He had all parts in stock.
No affiliation with this company, just wanted to put this forward for guys needing repair parts and or advice. Jim was very thorough in his explanations and was glad to lend advice on helping me with my choice of a new smaller torch for braze/weld.