Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Mikeover
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:47 pm

OK, not happy with the results from an abrasive saw - too much noise, too slow, lack of precision, material needs dressing up before use, and so on.

For cutting tube/angle/flats & other structural shapes - I have used the evo saw, really like it. But, is a band saw better? If so how?

Not opposed to spending ca$h as long as it is one time. Definitely the evo saw takes up less room and is more portable. Unlikely to be cutting something more than 3x3 @ a 45.

Thanks for the opinions!

Band saw can be good, blades are certainly less $, cuts quiet, and may or not need coolant. I recently bought a Baileigh dry cut band saw, its nice.

I do think the EVO is a good saw, or at least the dry cut chop saws are good, and provide clean cuts. Downside they are loud and blades are more $$, although if used properly one could argue the cost (of the blade) isn't much at all.

I was thinking of maybe adding the EVO185 to my shop.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Both. I want to get this one:

and I already have this one too:

Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

I would say you answered your own question when you said the abrasive saw makes to much noise I like a bandsaw it cuts while you prep so by the time it makes the last cut your all cleaned up and ready to weld plus you can add a little like 2*2 inch table or pad before the lower guide and use it up right for intricate cuts like a table top model

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Chop saw is faster, noisier, messier, band saw, you can do other stuff while it's cutting. Chop saw can do bigger, band saw is way more accurate. Go figure, guess you need to have both, LOL
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ljdm1956 wrote:Chop saw is faster, noisier, messier, band saw, you can do other stuff while it's cutting. Chop saw can do bigger, band saw is way more accurate. Go figure, guess you need to have both, LOL
Actually, I like to have all three: abrasive chop saw, carbide dry cut saw, and the 7x12 bandsaw. They all have their advantages. ;)
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't know if this counts, But I use a bandsaw and while cutting I apply bees wax on the sides of the blade while cutting. It does take a while to cut, but is much more accurate for me. I also use a porta band and also CAREFULLY apply bees wax on that blade. I've used cutting fluid on the material during cutting but find it is somewhat a pain for cleanup prior to welding. The bees wax doesn't run all over the place.
Bill.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Mikeover wrote:OK, not happy with the results from an abrasive saw - too much noise, too slow, lack of precision, material needs dressing up before use, and so on.
Before I got a small 7x12 Wilton, I used to resort to my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel rather than using my abrasive saw. I got to HATE it. It is still good to have in some cases as it is pretty portable, but that also goes for angle grinders.
Mikeover wrote:Not opposed to spending ca$h as long as it is one time. Definitely the evo saw takes up less room and is more portable. Unlikely to be cutting something more than 3x3 @ a 45.
I don't have a metal cutting chop saw, but wish I did. I think it's like most everything, most anyone would want one of each in their shop as it really depends on what you're doing it, and when you're doing it. Lots of factors, from Time of day and/or noise levels, material, angles, etc...for only miters alone I think it would be worth having the Evo. Even though it is louder, it's FASTER! 8-)

If money was on the line, I wouldn't want to be waiting for the band saw to cut miters, that's for home shop harrys like me, unless you have a nice Ellis or similar. :oops: OTOH, I do a lot of miters and could almost justify the expense. Evos are a lot cheaper than a bandsaw. I have a fair amount of tools and like to have a well equipped shop...our shops all vary.

If you don't have plasma, that should be a big consideration of yours, IMO.

Alan
Collector of old Iron!

Alan