Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Samwales
    Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:59 am

Hi guys, me again with what is probably another naive newbie question. When I set up my torch today, as soon as I opened the oxygen regulator, oxygen flowed freely through the torch. This happened regardless of how I adjusted the torch valve or the regulator. I didn't feel like trying to light the torch under those circumstances, so its back in the box for the time being.
Does anybody know of a solution to this? Is it more likely to be a fault with the valve or user error? I don't think it's wear as the torch has barely been used and has been stored quite fastidiously.
Thanks in advance, any help anyone can give me is very much appreciated
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

If the mixing valve on the front of the torch is open you will get oxy flowing through. Normal. Close it to shut it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Only if it's a cutting torch
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not seen a proper cutting torch with the 3rd valve - only on a cutting attachment fitted to a welding torch ( like a BOC saphire ) can the OP post a picture so we can figure it out ?
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

If it is a true cutting only torch, the slide valve for the cut lever could be sticking.
Samwales
    Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:59 am

It was the slide valve. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate you're advice. I'm sure I'll be back with another daft question at some point!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Glad you have it sorted & don't worry if you think a question is daft - we all start somewhere & have to learn - no one is born an expert ! only one guy on here we know of works for NASA - the rest of us are just mortal & learn by mistakes over time !