Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

I've read through a bunch of plasma cutter threads, a couple danced around this but none dealt with it directly.

Hypertherm seems to be the standard by which others are compared.

I only see three plasma cutters with built in compressors. By price and stated performance the Hypertherm is in its own class. I looked at Miller, Lincoln, ESAB (Thermal Dynamics), Hobart, Everlast, HTP if there are others worth looking at feel free to mention it.

Hypertherm 30 Air Retail $2070 cut 8mm, sever 16mm

Thermal Dynamics Aircut 15C $1049 recommended cut 1/8" (3mm), max cut 3/16" (5mm)

Hobart 12ci Retail $740 cut 1/8" (3mm) sever 1/4" (6mm)

First of all is a plasma cutter with built in compressor even a viable option or too heavily limited for most uses? My needs would for the most part be cutting 1/4" max, and typically much less, so any of the three could theoretically satisfy my general needs (wants really, I don't need a plasma cutter, but it would be handy for some things).

I have a Miller 220, so my single pass weld capability is not much more than the max cut of even the lightest of these machines. Assuming cut = recommended and sever is max cut? Terms differ between the brands.

The Hobart at less than $800 is pretty tempting if not total crap. The 30 Air at $2000 is not out of the question if its main liability is the added cost vs the 30XP (specs are pretty close). The high end just means it takes longer to save up the pennies before buying and is capable of more than I expect I'll ever really need.

This is largely future planning. I only have small portable air compressors, nothing large enough to run a plasma cutter. The tool makers keep coming up with options to make a compressor unnecessary and it appears makers of plasma cutters may be doing the same.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Aaron W wrote:First of all is a plasma cutter with built in compressor even a viable option or too heavily limited for most uses?
A hypertherm 30Air looks pretty good if you run it on 220-240V. Whether or not it is a viable option for you in general will come down to how thick you need to cut on a consistent basis. If you find yourself wanting to cut 3/8" later on, and then trying 1/2", you'll quickly get into severance territory and simply take too long. You need to be self-consistent with your needs/wants.
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

When I went looking, I didn't NEED one either, but thought it would be fun to have, I had just bought a mig welder and thought why not. I went for the Amico Power Cut 50, it was around 300 bucks, and I thought this way if it wasn't something I wasn't going to use, I wouldn't be out a grand...(I did already own a compressor though because I have a small woodshop), I don't use it a lot, but love it when I do fire it up... since then I have also bought an AHP AlphaTig 201xd. Love all my toys! "i didn't say I WAS a welder, I said I HAVE a welder!" ...lol just my 2 cents
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I've used cheap bamboo cutters which I binned in disgust and a lower mid range unit which I tolerate because it's not used often.
I've just been working in a shop that had the hypertherm 30 air. I gotta say that this cutter is by far the best cutter I've ever used. Miles ahead of anything else I've tried. An absolute pleasure, the consumables last a very long time, they weren't changed out in the two months I was there and it was used every day on both carbon steel and staino. It's really light, no compressed air required, great for site work just plug and play, simply awesome.
If ever I decide to buy another cutter l would bone up for one without blinking - just shut your ass and take my money kind of thing.
Worth every penny.Image
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

varekai wrote: Love all my toys! "i didn't say I WAS a welder, I said I HAVE a welder!" ...lol

are you my twin brother?!?! That's exactly what I say!

:D
jerje
    Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm

I've owned a little Miller Spectrum 125c for ?? ten or fifteen years and it has always worked well for me. I've parted out and cut up probably five or six 60s era Pontiacs and Fords with it as well as numerous other tasks. It only cute 1/8" with ease .though
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Thank you, good to hear the 30 Air is a good unit. Dual voltage and a compressor makes it pretty versatile, and it should handle just about anything I'm likely to do. The difference in price between it and the 30XP is less than the cost of installing a big compressor and air dryer.

Looks like sale prices can bring it down into the under $2000 price range.