Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I got myself an acetylene outfit, but I plan to use it with propane for the most part. I am getting acetylene mainly for flame-straightening, but I might conceivably do a small amount of welding. The propane is for cutting and general heating. I plan to keep the torch on s cart with oxygen and propane, snd I'll keep the acetylene separate.

Question: what tank sizes would be good for oxygen snd acetylene?

I figure 125 cu.ft. is the biggest oxygen tank I can load in the car without a lot of aggravation, but I don't want to have to buy gas too often.

I will use propane and oxygen maybe a few times s month. Acetylene less often.

I was thinking a WQ tank might be a good choice. Not huge and awkward, but not too small.

I'm a hobbyist, so I don't need huge tanks.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Before you decide what tank size you want, go to your LWS's and see what is available for purchase and/or lease, and then go from there. At my LWS, I can only get 75 ft³ acetylene tanks as out-right purchase, anything larger is only leased. Oxygen (and other welding shielding gasses) I can buy at 125 ft³. Anything larger is lease only. Keep in mind that you can only safely draw about 1/10th to 1/7th of the size of the acetylene tank. For a 75 ft³ tank, that's roughly 7-10 CFH of acetylene from any given acetylene tank. Look at the tip sizes and the associated withdrawal rate to see what your specific needs will be. It's one of those things where it doesn't matter how often you use it or not. If you need the performance, down-sizing due to non-frequent use might render it useless.

I assume your LWS would fill or swap a larger acetylene tank if you already had it, right?

I may be able to get a 75 cu.ft. tank used, along with a small oxygen tank and a cart, for $150 locally. Have to make sure it's not a stolen tank, though.

Chips O'Toole wrote:I assume your LWS would fill or swap a larger acetylene tank if you already had it, right?

I may be able to get a 75 cu.ft. tank used, along with a small oxygen tank and a cart, for $150 locally. Have to make sure it's not a stolen tank, though.
I wouldn't assume that.
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

I run a 125 o2 tank and a 30lb propane. I get about 2 or 3 o2 per one propane. Of course propane cutting gobbles o2 more so then other cutting sets. But a 125 is only like $40 locally.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

buy big on the acetylene. Many rosebud tips actually require that you tie 2 or more tanks together to get the required flow rates. A size 8 victor rosebud uses 30-80 CFH of acetylene. That implies a tank volume of roughly 500 cubic feet for safe withdrawal as Oscar mentioned. A victor size 3 welding/heating nozzle requires 13 CFH, so you are going to need a 125-130 cubic foot tank. A size 3 tip is suitable for welding 1/8th to 3/16ths
Multimatic 255
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Run propylene it’s lighter and lasts longer than propane. It’s almost as hot as acetylene but not enough to weld.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Hobby size in the states to be safe without ever needing a lease is 80 cu of 02 and 60 of ac you can run anything you want a rosebud can be safely run for five minutes on these our service truck has them I tried other fuels and hated it ac and 02 heat faster and just cause less bs than the tall 02 and fat other fuel and wasted time or not being able to quickly heat a small spot if your cutting up junk go propane otherwise ac/02

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary

I don't plan to use a rosebud with acetylene. It's just for flame-straightening and maybe some welding just for kicks.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

It's my go to for cutting odd shapes and I love some good brazing it's like soldiering for men

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary

Louie1961 wrote:buy big on the acetylene. Many rosebud tips actually require that you tie 2 or more tanks together to get the required flow rates. A size 8 victor rosebud uses 30-80 CFH of acetylene. That implies a tank volume of roughly 500 cubic feet for safe withdrawal as Oscar mentioned. A victor size 3 welding/heating nozzle requires 13 CFH, so you are going to need a 125-130 cubic foot tank. A size 3 tip is suitable for welding 1/8th to 3/16ths
Some places only rent tanks that large. Such was the case here locally, so I ordered a 3 cylinder Acetylene manifold to tie together three 75 ft³ tanks. That way I can get 1/7-th of 225 ft³ which is ≈32 CFH (if going by the 1/7th rule).
Chips O'Toole wrote:I don't plan to use a rosebud with acetylene. It's just for flame-straightening and maybe some welding just for kicks.
For me, the real advantage to oxy-acet is for thick cutting. I had to cut some 1" rebar for my Texas Power Strip Project. My choices were: 14" abrasive chop saw, 14" EVO Rage carbide blade chop saw, plasma cutter rated at 5/8", or oxy-acet with a #2 cutting tip. The oxy-acet #2 tip slice it up quick.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I got myself an acetylene outfit, but I plan to use it with propane for the most part. I am getting acetylene mainly for flame-straightening, but I might conceivably do a small amount of welding. The propane is for cutting and general heating. I plan to keep the torch on s cart with oxygen and propane, snd I'll keep the acetylene separate.

I figure 125 cu.ft. is the biggest oxygen tank I can load in the car without a lot of aggravation, but I don't want to have to buy gas too often.

I was thinking a WQ tank might be a good choice. Not huge and awkward, but not too small.

I agree 125 is about biggest you to load
80 is about the smallest due to cost of gas.

FYI When I had shop I used 337 but they weigh over 200 lbs

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I got myself an acetylene outfit, but I plan to use it with propane for the most part. I am getting acetylene mainly for flame-straightening, but I might conceivably do a small amount of welding. The propane is for cutting and general heating. I plan to keep the torch on s cart with oxygen and propane, snd I'll keep the acetylene separate.

I agree 125 is about biggest you to load
80 is about the smallest due to cost of gas.

FYI When I had shop I used 337 but they weigh over 200 lbs

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk