Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Today I used a Walter Enduro-Flex flap wheel to shape some things I was welding. I love these wheels, but it would be nice to have something in a finer grit. The ones I have are 40-grit. What's the best step up, for a better finish and more control? Should I try 80 or go all the way to 120?
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I use 80s for 99% of my work. Fine enough finish that you can paint over it without seeing grind marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That sounds fine.

Are these things useful on 6" grinders, or is it better to stick with 4.5" for easier control?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use 40 or 60 most of the time. Unless you are working your way to a fine polish then don’t go as fine as 120. Except for thin metals then that fine of a wheel becomes necessary.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Really depends on what your grinding on, I only have a 4.5" grinder, but if you're doing thick wall structural work with a lot of beveling then a 6" grinder would be "more better" :)

I do have a 120 flap wheel which is nice for a fine finish, but for what I do it's mostly not needed
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

An 80 grit followed by a ScotchBrite disc will leave a very nice finish. Use the 40 to chew, the 80 to dress, the scotchbrite to finish.

I found a good deal for 80-grit wheels on Ebay, so now I have 10 of them.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I use a 40 or 60 grit mostly. Anything finer than that, it doesn't remove much material and does more polishing than material removing.
SCsoldier04
    Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 pm

Go check out benchmark abrasives. Not the highest quality pads but if you are just using at home and what not they are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Have any you all found a decent flap wheel to cut aluminum? I know that putting the right weld down will avoid all the grinding and cussing....BUT, I've been working on restoring some parts and looking to grind without clogging the wheel.

There are flap wheels designed for aluminum, most of the major manufacturers have them
Richard
Website