Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Samwales
    Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:59 am

Hello, I've started using an oxy-propane torch for some general cutting around the smallholding. I've got no formal training in gas cutting, and nobody else i know does it, but have been having success with this setup (thanks in large part to input from this board.)
Last time i went to fire the torch up, the oxygen regulator wouldn't register any pressure, however when i opened the oxygen cylinder without the regulator attached there still seemed to be gas flowing.
My question is, is something up with the regulator, or is the cylinder "empty?" (i.e, pressure to low to be usable.)
It's a 20l cylinder, which is pretty small, however I don't think ive done an excessive amount of cutting with it- some sections of angle iron and a few passes through i-beams.
any advice anyone can give would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Yeah the tank will need 10-20 psi min to show up on a regulator high gauge. And less then 5psi will hiss when the tank is opened.

Those small cylinders do go fast, if you don't have any reason to suspect a problem with the regulator then your probably dealing with an "empty" cylinder, as Homemade wrote even though the reg reads 0 there is still a small amount of pressure.

With your next refill keep a close eye on the reg readings as you use it.
Richard
Website
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Seems to me 2000 psi to 1000psi lasts forever, then they go from 1000 to 100 in no time flat. Could just be me tho, I dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Especially on a cutting torch head you use way more oxy at higher pressure for cutting than you do with just a regular welding or brazing tip.
I have more questions than answers

Josh