Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
WelderDan
    Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:50 am

I need more steel to practice with. Where do ppl get steel from? Home Depot doesn't have much
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Go to any weld shop or steel yard ask about drops it's usually a dollar a pound around here great if you need something say 2 foot or less

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

where in california are you? i'm lucky enough to have a steel supply house close by.
WelderDan
    Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:50 am

varekai wrote:where in california are you? i'm lucky enough to have a steel supply house close by.
I'm near Visalia
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

WelderDan wrote:
varekai wrote:where in california are you? i'm lucky enough to have a steel supply house close by.
I'm near Visalia
try mid valley pipe and supply, I looked them up and they are actually a sister company of where I get my steel.... good luck
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Never buy steel from big box stores like Home Depot. They are not steel supply stores.
Buy your steel from a local steel supplier. There has to be a large machine/fabrication/welding shop close to you that sells steel in all forums and sizes.
Jim Bridger
    Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:46 am

Hey WelderDan,

FWIW I gave this guys kits a try (website below) as I thot it was funny he was using the priority box shipping. Anyway I ordered the 12 cubes of different gauge thickness for $55. It was a steal in my opinion vs. what I know scrap/remnants cost at my local steel yard. These are plasma cut preformed things and if you are willing to weld both sides (inside and out) you get an insane amount of practice. Guy sent me stuff that was a light as 20g to as heavy as 1/4"

https://www.42fab.com/weld-it-yourself