Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Stew
    Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Anyone use an Evolution 380 to cut welds? Do you need a different blade?

I don't have a band saw, my alternatives are a regular 14" abrasion disk chop saw and cut off disks on an angle grinder.

I'm interested in cutting and etching.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

You need the correct blade for the material, steel, aluminum or stainless. See HERE
Richard
Website
Stew

LtBadd wrote:You need the correct blade for the material, steel, aluminum or stainless. See HERE
Sorry I forgot to say welds on mild steel.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yea you can use the EVO 380, just make sure you have the blade for mild steel. You also need "rolocs", or something similar to do the polishing steps. I use
  • 2" flap disc 40grit to remove the saw/blade lines first (go 90° to the lines as best as possible will work fastest)
  • then maroon sanding pad to remove the 40grit lines (again, go 90° to the previous scratches to work fastest)
  • then finally the blue sanding pad (again, 90° to the lines left from the maroon pad).
Then I dab Naval Jelly rust remover with a Q-tip and gently swirl it around for about 45 to 60 seconds, and I can already start to see the weld "nugget" start to appear. If you leave it too long, it etches everything too much, and turns it all dark-gray, then you can't see what's what.

Stew

Oscar wrote:Yea you can use the EVO 380, just make sure you have the blade for mild steel. You also need "rolocs", or something similar to do the polishing steps. I use
  • 2" flap disc 40grit to remove the saw/blade lines first (go 90° to the lines as best as possible will work fastest)
  • then maroon sanding pad to remove the 40grit lines (again, go 90° to the previous scratches to work fastest)
  • then finally the blue sanding pad (again, 90° to the lines left from the maroon pad).
Then I dab Naval Jelly rust remover with a Q-tip and gently swirl it around for about 45 to 60 seconds, and I can already start to see the weld "nugget" start to appear. If you leave it too long, it etches everything too much, and turns it all dark-gray, then you can't see what's what.

Awesome thank you for the info