Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I still have no O2 tank. Some guy not far away is trying to sell one just the right size for $90. The stamp date is 1974.

Would you buy a tank that old on the assumption it would pass inspection? If it passes, I can swap it, pay the fee, and still come out pretty good. If not, it's scrap.

Other than that, it looks like Amazon is about the best I can do. They sell tanks for $229, empty.

I figure the local tank will run me somewhere around $160 if I swap it, plus about 90 miles of driving, so that's another $20 in fuel.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I would not.
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I still have no O2 tank. Some guy not far away is trying to sell one just the right size for $90. The stamp date is 1974.

Would you buy a tank that old on the assumption it would pass inspection? If it passes, I can swap it, pay the fee, and still come out pretty good. If not, it's scrap.

Other than that, it looks like Amazon is about the best I can do. They sell tanks for $229, empty.

I figure the local tank will run me somewhere around $160 if I swap it, plus about 90 miles of driving, so that's another $20 in fuel.
Make sure your lws will swap that size tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Does Zod weld with argon or just krypton?
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

I have a really good rapport with my local supply guy. I'm actually taking in a big ol acetylene bottle and trading it for a tri-mix.. all I have to pay for is gas. Talk to your local guy. I still have 6 empty tanks of various sizes and gasses that I have bought off CL and use for swapping. I was able to get a small oxy/acy rig, a c25 bottle and an Argon bottle all without having to buy a new tank.
    Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:42 pm

There are tanks out there, still in use, with a swastika stamped (and usually overstamped) on the side. I think you're fine.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

varekai wrote:I have a really good rapport with my local supply guy. I'm actually taking in a big ol acetylene bottle and trading it for a tri-mix.. all I have to pay for is gas. Talk to your local guy. I still have 6 empty tanks of various sizes and gasses that I have bought off CL and use for swapping. I was able to get a small oxy/acy rig, a c25 bottle and an Argon bottle all without having to buy a new tank.
Same here, most of my tanks I've gotten off craigslist.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I still have no O2 tank. Some guy not far away is trying to sell one just the right size for $90. The stamp date is 1974.

It is gamble on any used tank.
I have seen tanks that was 40 years old still in uses.

Feel lucky
Dave

FYI
I purchased new tanks back in 1980's and still have the tanks.

Living 90 miles I would look at exchange type tanks. some supplies will sell you tank for exchange. One trip for fill up
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm one of those who has purchased and exchanged old tanks as well.

My 250cf that I bought had an old Army Air Corps marking, if I remember correctly. It also had an impressive amount of hydro stamps...

The LWS was more than willing to take it in trade for a full one.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.