Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Been putting it off long enough. Mostly looking to use it for 1/4" thick steel max, but up to 1/2" capability would be nice. Occasional use only, maybe a few hours a week max. Looking for something reasonably priced for those capabilities, but not necessarily a budget machine. Any machine recommendations? Features to look for? Pitfalls to avoid? Also researching on my own, but experienced help is always appreciated.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Plasma is one of those things that you always want more power. Go for a 50-60A cutter like the PrimeWeld Cut60. Also find out what consumables you will need, as you will go through a lot if you do not have a really good air filtration/moisture removal apparatus.
Spartan

Thanks for the tips, Oscar!
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Don't hesitate to get yourself a GOOD filter that will remove the MOISTURE.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Lots of people will recommend Hypertherm for their well deserved reputation. None the less, my next purchase will be the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60i. It is reported to be a great hand cutter, but also a beast at gouging. decent price too. 3/4 inch recommended cut capacity and 1.5 inch severance cuts. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... h-1-5630-1
Multimatic 255
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Louie1961 wrote:Lots of people will recommend Hypertherm for their well deserved reputation. None the less, my next purchase will be the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60i. It is reported to be a great hand cutter, but also a beast at gouging. decent price too. 3/4 inch recommended cut capacity and 1.5 inch severance cuts. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... h-1-5630-1
Thermal dynamics is a great value for a plasma cutter, from what ive seen. Id love to have one of their 120A cutters! :D
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Do any of you have any experience with the Miller plasma cutters?
I fell into one a few years ago when a fellow soldier who was about to separate had his wife inform him that the family was about to grow...
He sold off the car project and associated tools, including a new in box Spectrum375.

I haven't had much chance to use it, but haven't had any issues so far.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Spartan

Thanks for all the helpful tips! My LWS carries the full line of Thermal Dynamics as their primary plasma brand, so those are high on my list from a support perspective.