Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

I have some cutting to do for a future project. And just in general it seems more and more often I find myself in this situation and no good way aside from an angle grinder. So to that end I looked into plasma cutters.

And within my budget I can either opt for this old Italian built 3-phase machine by Cebora. It's old, from the 1990s, weighs a ton and for its 70A rating only cuts maximum of 20mm steel. But it is a quality machine and has was recently serviced. But it's also pretty old technology (transformer and SCR). Quality... but old.

On the other side of the spectrum I could buy a chinese cutter via Germany from a company called Stahlwerk, I was shown some cuts by the same machine from someone else who bought one, and it made some nice clean cuts on 25mm steel.

I'm having trouble deciding which way to go, one way I feel bad buying chinese stuff, but it's more powerful, but long might it last before it gives me trouble (pretty long warranty, 7 years).

The cebora doesn't have any warranty left but because it's pretty old technology I am certain I can do my own service on it, my welder is a transformer/SCR unit from the 1990s as well and it feels unkillable. If anything happens with the Stahlwerk unit I can't do much about it except pack it up and ship it down to germany, but there is the long warranty at least.

I keep going back and forth in my head on this and not really reaching a conclusion. Any advice would be appreciated.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I had the 50amp version of the Cebora cutter - I think there were a family of 35 / 50 / 70amp in they're day - mine was probably mid 80's but they did'nt change much for a long time - a friend had the 70 amp - we both sold them & got import models as they never cut the claimed thickness - used an insane amount of electricity & consumables were expensive & short lived - I personally think the plasma scene has changed so much in the last few years it would be folly to go back to the machines your looking at though I do admit baring some minor niggles both units when sold were working & probably still are because as you mentioned they use old trusted components - I can't say anything new will do the same but mostly even the Chinese stuff seems quite reliable if sourced from a reputable company & not the 2nds / rejects sellers on Ebay - I have one of the first cut40 units sold here - only got it for one job for portability & it's still going fine ( it's seen hundreds of hours of cutting on it's maximum ) - the guy that imported them went out there to see the makers & threaten them if they did'nt stick to agreed quality - not sure what makes sell where you are but there is some middle ground equipment about now - not big name big price - not low end crap - really boils down to local availability - am looking to get another bigger unit soon but not sure yet what - I'm kinda hoping for a 2nd hand newish machine from auction of out of business firm but that's always a gamble - cab score a deal or a dudd !
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

What you will absolutely hate about old plasma machines no matter what, is horrible consumable life. Technology has come a long way, and consumable cost plays a factor, as does frequency of replacement. That was part of the reason I picked my current plasma cutter. Inexpensive consumable cost, made in Italy, can't go wrong.
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

Well I tried to find some other 2nd hand quality units, almost found one but the price was too high. So I said screw it and bought a Stahlwerk 70A unit. It's a chinese unit so I am not expecting the world from it. But it has a long warranty period and I saw some others with the same machine and it cut 25mm steel nicely.

I'm also looking at buying an oxygen bottle soon to go with my propane for oxyfuel cutting, heating and brazing so I won't be entirely dependant on a chinese unit.