Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

use stick wax lubricant if you want to extend blade life. The downside is you have to clean up the material before welding.

BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I realize it would be more stuff to buy but a coolant Mister like you would use on any other metal cutting machine would allow you to use a water-based coolant that wouldn't be difficult to remove. You could rinse it right off with water.

The tube of wax I have at work has warnings all over it about not touching this stuff, which of course I disregard completely. LOL I don't know what's toxic about it but they certainly seem to think it's bad stuff.
Nethergate
    Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 am

Yeh I’ll defiantly have to look into a wax stick, my local store is out of them which is why I haven’t used it. As for liquid coolant/lubricant, saws that use this are built different, they have the motor mounted separately from motor and have the blade powered by a drive shaft to seperate electrical from coolant, well at least the ones I’ve seen, I wanted to do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I've been using bees wax for a long time. no bad issues and able to notice it after the cut, wipes off.
Your game, your decision.
Nethergate

Sounds good to me, I’ll try and get some, thanks for the tip

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Heck, even a bar of soap works well for cutting aluminum. For cutting steel, I use a dark oil found at any Home Center store in the plumbing aisle. Typically found where black threaded pipe is. It’s high in sulphur and does a fantastic job at lubricating and cooling. Plus it’s dirt cheap comparatively.

The soap also works well on cut-off discs on your angle grinder.
Nethergate

Hey guys, I need to cut some 50mm (2” for those of you who are stuck in the past) bar stock and the guy at the metal merchant and ended up giving me an off cut which was a bit longer than I asked, he did ask if it was alright because “I hate cutting that stuff”

Am I going to wreck my cold saw blade cutting this? I’ve been using beeswax I’m tempted to just use my 9” grinder on it but the result will be nowhere near as good.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks James

Nethergate wrote:Hey guys, I need to cut some 50mm (2” for those of you who are stuck in the past) bar stock and the guy at the metal merchant and ended up giving me an off cut which was a bit longer than I asked, he did ask if it was alright because “I hate cutting that stuff”

Am I going to wreck my cold saw blade cutting this? I’ve been using beeswax I’m tempted to just use my 9” grinder on it but the result will be nowhere near as good.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks James

You might wreck it, maybe not. At best it would dull it a little bit. At worse it will dull it completely and lose teeth. If you do attempt it, definitely use some kind of cooling method. May I suggest a diablo blade...supposedly their Cermet II are ceramic reinforced carbide that are supposed to be superior.

Nethergate

Might use the grinder just for economy because I need to cut it 50 or so times

Yes, in that case, much better choice. Bandsaw would be ideal here. :)
Nethergate

I’ll have to buy one then lol, thanks for the reply

Nethergate

Also just some feedback, I’m still loving the cold saw, it’s so satisfying to use, I’m running it with beeswax and it has minimal clean up. I was impressed the other day, I wanted to cut 4 lengths of 40x40x3 all the same length so I clamped them
Together and it cut thru all without even blinking

Same here. I'm thinking of ordering the Evo Saw 380CPS
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I am curious what order folks would recommend for cutting tool purchases. I would suggest whatever chop style saw first according to budget, then a band saw of some kind, then a oxy-fuel rig and last because it is pretty much a one trick pony a plasma cutter if desired. that is based on 99% fab work, if there was going to be a good amount of repair I would switch the oxy-fuel rig into the band saw spot and visa versa. this is taking for granted that a grinder is already in the stable.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Nethergate

I wanted a bandsaw but it came down to where I would store it, the coldsaw is way more compact and I’m pretty happy with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still bandsaw-curious