Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
INXS2
    Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

I've got a 14" Evolution saw and had the same problem. It wasn't the saws fault, it was mine. I'd cut the metal and before I got completely through I'd let go of the button. The metal would slow/stop the blade and pop the teeth off!! Live and learn!
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

INXS2 wrote:I've got a 14" Evolution saw and had the same problem. It wasn't the saws fault, it was mine. I'd cut the metal and before I got completely through I'd let go of the button. The metal would slow/stop the blade and pop the teeth off!! Live and learn!
In about 4 years with both Evolution and Diablo blades, some resharpened several times I have broken and had replaced 2 teeth. Both my fault also by not letting the saw get up to full RPM's before starting the cut. Learning curve! :oops: Both excellent blades although I prefer the Diablo blade now with the narrower kerf and smoother cut. :D
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

homeboy wrote:In about 4 years with both Evolution and Diablo blades, some resharpened several times I have broken and had replaced 2 teeth. Both my fault also by not letting the saw get up to full RPM's before starting the cut. Learning curve! :oops: Both excellent blades although I prefer the Diablo blade now with the narrower kerf and smoother cut. :D
I've seen a couple other people say similar comments about the Diablo. If/when the Evo becomes in stock, I'll use the stock blade and when I upgrade consider getting the Diablo.

Do you know, does Diablo offer a 15" blade?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
homeboy

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
homeboy wrote:In about 4 years with both Evolution and Diablo blades, some resharpened several times I have broken and had replaced 2 teeth. Both my fault also by not letting the saw get up to full RPM's before starting the cut. Learning curve! :oops: Both excellent blades although I prefer the Diablo blade now with the narrower kerf and smoother cut. :D
I've seen a couple other people say similar comments about the Diablo. If/when the Evo becomes in stock, I'll use the stock blade and when I upgrade consider getting the Diablo.

Did a quick search and didn't find a 15in Diablo. The Diablo is smoother and I think runs easier because it doesn't have to cut as much metal. Interestingly in Canada it is usually around $30,00 cheaper than the Evo blade which is why it took me a while to decide to try one. I don't count cuts but pretty sure it lasts at least as long before sharpening as the Evo blade.
homeboy

Did a quick search and didn't find a 15in Diablo. The Diablo is smoother and I think runs easier because it doesn't have to cut as much metal. Interestingly in Canada it is usually around $30,00 cheaper than the Evo blade which is why it took me a while to decide to try one. I don't count cuts but pretty sure it lasts at least as long before sharpening as the Evo blade.
TraditionalToolworks

homeboy wrote:Did a quick search and didn't find a 15in Diablo. The Diablo is smoother and I think runs easier because it doesn't have to cut as much metal. Interestingly in Canada it is usually around $30,00 cheaper than the Evo blade which is why it took me a while to decide to try one. I don't count cuts but pretty sure it lasts at least as long before sharpening as the Evo blade.
How long do your blades last before you get them sharpened?

When I started looking, Jim Wright (Jimbo's Garage) had used a Fein blade for over a year, used it to cut hundreds of cuts for projects. The blade was pretty beat when he replaced it, but he sure got some use out of it. I was guessing the Evo blade would get about the same life. But maybe that's not so.

Here's an interesting thing to note. I just looked up the Diablo blade and I see it's a 14" blade with 72 tooth count. The Evo blade is 66 tooth count on the 14" and 72 tooth count on the 15". On Amazon it's showing $89 for the Evo and $67 for the Diablo. The tooth pattern looks almost identical to the Evo, just more of them, so I guess Jay won't like that blade either... :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Jaywal pushed down on that blade with all his body weight and wonders "what happened?" :lol:

TTW, there is also the thin-material Diablo blade with 90-teeth that I plan to get since I don't cut much more than 1/4". I'll probably order a 72-tooth as well.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Jaywal pushed down on that blade with all his body weight and wonders "what happened?" :lol:
It seems the problem is not pushing down hard enough, I hadn't actually thought about that, but per homeboy he lost teeth that way also.
Oscar wrote:TTW, there is also the thin-material Diablo blade with 90-teeth that I plan to get since I don't cut much more than 1/4". I'll probably order a 72-tooth as well.
That Diablo 72 tooth is a pretty good price, I would probably get one of those if the Evo ever comes back in stock. 90 teeth is a lot of a 14" blade, might clog up, not sure....as long as the chips clear out it should be ok.

I'm making special note on not cutting without full speed on the blade, I think that is key to not loosing teeth.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
homeboy

Rule of thumb it appears is make sure the blade is at full RPM when approaching or in contact with the metal. Don't force the blade as it needs only little pressure to cut properly. The fellow that got a year out of a Fein blade was treating it as disposable after it was beat. I resharpen guaged on how hot the material gets when it's cut due to increased friction as the blade dulls and have had up to 5 cycles from an EVO blade at $20,00 a pop. New blade C$130-$140,00 + 13% tx ea. Depending on sharpening costs in the area ( Oscar posted for his area :shock: ) possible running a US $67,00 blade to trash may make sense? As to chronologically how long between sharpening for me would not be a good indicator of blade quality because I do so many different things. Right now doing a major rust, panel replacement on a POS, tin, unibody factory built trailor so almost no cutting. Other times a lot.

Actually, it wasn't anywhere near my area. I sent mine up to W.D. Quinn in St. Louis, Missouri.

Also, I've started using cutting wax that I had ordered for Blair hole-cutters. That should prolong blade life, as a little goes a long way.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Oscar wrote:Jaywal pushed down on that blade with all his body weight and wonders "what happened?" Image

TTW, there is also the thin-material Diablo blade with 90-teeth that I plan to get since I don't cut much more than 1/4". I'll probably order a 72-tooth as well.
I refuse to be insulted by someone who hooks a second stinger to his ground clamp to run 2 rods simultaneously!! Image If I'd used my body weight that blade would now be an abrasive wheel.

I can see not enough down pressure dulling the blade quicker, just like cutting a chunk of flat bar lying flat vs standing up will decrease the life. But I cant see too little pressure breaking off teeth. Too slow rpm when starting the cut and too much pressure, sure.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Alan,

I'm no experience fabricator, but I chose Primeweld Cut60. Ordered today. Shipped today. Due Friday.
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:I'm no experience fabricator, but I chose Primeweld Cut60. Ordered today. Shipped today. Due Friday.
Sweet, congrats to you K!

I'm still waiting for the Evo saw, but if it continues to be drawn out I may change my mind.

I bought a Vestil 2407 electric pallet jack at auction, looks in pretty good shape...winning bid was $221, with tax and auction fees will be $296. Will lift 3300 lbs.

Not bad, here's a new one:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200652715

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

That seems cheap for the batteries alone, wonder if you could weld with them :twisted:
TraditionalToolworks

sbaker56 wrote:That seems cheap for the batteries alone, wonder if you could weld with them :twisted:
Maybe, it has 2 x 12v batteries... :lol:

I have bought a bunch of stuff from this auctioneer, they're not very well known..but more people follow them than used to be...I once missed out on a beautiful Deckel FP1 that was pristine, I have one myself but not in as nice of shape.

I bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma for $2k, needed about $1k of work to it, but I drive it all the time. I also got a South Bend Heavy 10 with D1-4 spindle, hardened bed, taper attachment, and it had the metric transposition gears. I got a Coffing 3-phase 2-ton electric hoist which I'll be using on a Vestil 2-ton Gantry (bought the gantry separate), a Wilton 7x12 horizontal band saw, etc...a few other things, but I mostly watch for tools. I did buy what appears to be a purge fixture which turns, for $25... :D

I call this my honey hole! :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

sbaker56 wrote:That seems cheap for the batteries alone, wonder if you could weld with them :twisted:
I've seen welding done off scoop batteries underground, but that's over 100V, using a small box of resistors called a bonder.
TraditionalToolworks

Evo S380CPS came into stock this morning.

Pretty pathetic company, they told me they would come into stock first on their website and I should follow them there. But that was not true, they came available on Amazon also.

I was going to order from their site, had it in my cart and even went to PayPal, but they were going ti charge me about $52 for shipping, so I didn't complete it and went to Amazon where the price was $8 more but shipping was free.

I was almost not going to order it, but don't have too much choice as it is the saw I want for the pin settings on the miters. :roll:

I sent the representative an email though, telling her that I didn't think it represents their company very well to jack the customer around like that. Now they have to pay Amazon for the sale.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

JayWal wrote:Nah I used very little down pressure. Could be I'm at fault but if so then their blades are a heck of a lot more fragile then other dry cuts I've used.

I threw in a used dull blade I had lying around and it actually cut nicer and straighter than the factory Evo blade. Theres a big difference in the tooth design. I dont like the Evo design at all. I'll be trying Lenox or Diablo blades before another Evo.
Jay,

I must be missing something here, why wouldn't you follow up to get a free blade? Doesn't cost you anything to follow up.

Still no blade, and no replies to any of my follow up emails. I might even have to break the Canadian rules and not be so nice in my emails

TraditionalToolworks

JayWal wrote:Still no blade, and no replies to any of my follow up emails. I might even have to break the Canadian rules and not be so nice in my emails
Jay,

Hold them to it, seriously, especially if they told you they would send you another blade. I wouldn't let them, in fact my last email was not so nice to the rep, because of the shipping charge they tried to jack me around on. :x

And that is after I actually ordered it from them.

Try sending to this a message to support on their webpage, it will send a confirmation and create an ID for your comment and you can continue following up on it. You'll see a support button at the bottom right of the page.

https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/

If it was me I'd be on it and get the blade. Even if it was your fault for doing something wrong, I don't see how not pushing hard enough or pushing hard enough could be an issue, since it doesn't seem they mention that in their manual, but I haven't seen the manual, just what someone else had said here.

Anyway, good luck, they should give you a new blade for your troubles.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

JayWal wrote:Still no blade, and no replies to any of my follow up emails. I might even have to break the Canadian rules and not be so nice in my emails
Jay,

Hold them to it, seriously, especially if they told you they would send you another blade. I wouldn't let them, in fact my last email was not so nice to the rep, because of the shipping charge they tried to jack me around on. :x

And that is after I actually ordered it from them.

Try sending to this a message to support on their webpage, it will send a confirmation and create an ID for your comment and you can continue following up on it. You'll see a support button at the bottom right of the page.

https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/

If it was me I'd be on it and get the blade. Even if it was your fault for doing something wrong, I don't see how not pushing hard enough or pushing hard enough could be an issue, since it doesn't seem they mention that in their manual, but I haven't seen the manual, just what someone else had said here.

Anyway, good luck, they should give you a new blade for your troubles.
Only 3 months, but it finally arrived! Mustve been you insisting they send it. Appreciate it Image

Ah well, I don't mind waiting on free stuff. Looking forward to trying it.Image

Attachments
20200721_215538.jpg
20200721_215538.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
TraditionalToolworks

JayWal wrote:Only 3 months
That's the funny, or not so funny part...3 months to ship a blade to a customer? I find that pretty pathetic.

Thing is I knew going into this that there was not much choice if I wanted that stop pin feature for the miters. That was something I really wanted, to make it easy to go from 90 degree to 45 degree without having to use some type of gauge.

My experience with the company kind of mimics taking 3 months to send a replacement blade out. Not meaning to dis Evolution have you, they kind of have a niche carved for these saws at the moment. I'm sure that will change.
JayWal wrote:Ah well, I don't mind waiting on free stuff. Looking forward to trying it.
Free is good in this case, for certain.

Here's the odd thing...everyone knows they've been out of stock on these saws for months now. Obviously due to the pandemic, and quite honestly I don't see it getting better, I only see it getting worse with our situation with China, it's going downhill fast...

Anyway, it's understandable if they're out of stock that they can't ship a blade to you, right? But the piece that doesn't correlate with all of this is the saw is made in China, but the blades are made in Japan. Quite honestly it's a good thing the blades are made in Japan, IMO, and it was a reason for me to go with the Evo. Not clear where the Fein blades are made.

I will definitely try the Diablo blade after mine starts to dull, you can get those for about $67 w/shipping, almost half the price of the Evo blade.

FWIW, your old blade might be good to keep for scrap and/or aluminum, since aluminum doesn't use much cutting power, you can even cut aluminum on a high speed wood cutting miter saw. I've done it a number of times and have cut aluminum on a table saw in the past.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Speaking of blades, I should order that 90 tooth diablo. I was cutting some 1/8" flat bar, and 14ga tubing, and I definitely have to watch the cut speed due to having so little teeth on the multi-purpose blade (36).

Anyone built their own dry cut saw using a an abrasive saw motor and slowing it down with a 3:1 pulley ratio? Most abrasive saws are around 4000 RPMs, so 1333 RPM's is just about perfect for a dry cut blade. As you can imagine, I'm thinking about it. :lol: A cheap dry cut saw like the porter cable I have is around $100, a set of pulleys about another $40. Steel and miscellaneous stuff, perhaps another $80 with all the nickel-n-dimes.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Anyone built their own dry cut saw using a an abrasive saw motor and slowing it down with a 3:1 pulley ratio? Most abrasive saws are around 4000 RPMs, so 1333 RPM's is just about perfect for a dry cut blade.
I found a guy on YT a couple months ago that converted a modern wood chop saw, like a DeWalt or Makita to a DC motor so he could control the speed. Depending on the motor being used it would be an easy or difficult task. And DC motors are expensive.

Another way would be to use a 3 phase motor with a VFD, that could work also. 3 phase motors are cheap, but VFDs are not in all cases, but some they are. Still, you'll pay over $100 for a VFD. And you need a 3 phase motor on top of it.

There is one alternative that could work, source a low RPM single phase motor that you could adapt to the abrasive saw. Either China or India might be a place to look, China the most likely.

The bottom line is that these cold cutting saws are not very expensive, certainly when you consider the cost of the carbide toothed blades. Kinda like inkjet printers...they get you on the ink. I think most people will replace their carbide toothed blades quicker than needed, putting even more profits into the pockets of the vendors.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Oscar wrote:Anyone built their own dry cut saw using a an abrasive saw motor and slowing it down with a 3:1 pulley ratio? Most abrasive saws are around 4000 RPMs, so 1333 RPM's is just about perfect for a dry cut blade.
I found a guy on YT a couple months ago that converted a modern wood chop saw, like a DeWalt or Makita to a DC motor so he could control the speed. Depending on the motor being used it would be an easy or difficult task. And DC motors are expensive.

Another way would be to use a 3 phase motor with a VFD, that could work also. 3 phase motors are cheap, but VFDs are not in all cases, but some they are. Still, you'll pay over $100 for a VFD. And you need a 3 phase motor on top of it.

There is one alternative that could work, source a low RPM single phase motor that you could adapt to the abrasive saw. Either China or India might be a place to look, China the most likely.

The bottom line is that these cold cutting saws are not very expensive, certainly when you consider the cost of the carbide toothed blades. Kinda like inkjet printers...they get you on the ink. I think most people will replace their carbide toothed blades quicker than needed, putting even more profits into the pockets of the vendors.
See, I already have the abrasive saw. :) They're not too expensive, but if one can be made for about half the cost........
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:See, I already have the abrasive saw. :) They're not too expensive, but if one can be made for about half the cost........
Yeah, I do also, a Milwaukee. Looking forward to selling mine! Are you looking for another one? :D That was why I was looking into doing it, but in the end I decided it didn't warrant the time it would take to make it vs. just buying the Evo or Fein. I think that's a big factor some of us overlook as it's fun to build stuff. But if you get paid $XX/hr to work and need to spend 20 hours building something, it's easier to look for work and build other stuff.

I'm not the person to listen to, I'm trying to build a shop and home... :lol: I don't think there's a lot of money in it, but in the end after the invested time is done it will be nice to have and use it. This is to say that time vs. money is not always a straight equation. :oops: A shop and home is obviously different than a cold saw, I mean, I don't use a saw as much as I use my shop and home. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan