Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

DavidR8 wrote:Looks like a nice clean cut.
Glad to hear it’s not terribly loud. I might consider one if I can find one a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just downloaded a decibel meter on my phone and tested a fairly well used but still cutting good 14in Diablo 72T Steel Demon and a fresh sharpened ( had to peel wax off of teeth) 14in Evolution 66T blade on 1in x 1/8 angle. My results were 73db for the Diablo and 76db for the Evolution. Results from beside my ear and at arms length from the RH side were about the same. I have no idea the accuracy of my app or if there's differences in the characteristics of the sound that would be relevant to anything. Oscar might be able to figure it out with his equipment if it matters. Whatever I never found the saw that noisy anyway. A chart on the app places it between busy traffic/vacuum cleaner (70db) and loud music/alarm clock (80db). Diesel truck/lawn mower (90db), Concerts/screaming child/ mad wife :roll: 110db. So if you can cut your grass and vacuum your carpet without deafening yourself or driving your neighbors nuts you can have a dry cut saw!! :lol:
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

homeboy wrote:
DavidR8 wrote:Looks like a nice clean cut.
Glad to hear it’s not terribly loud. I might consider one if I can find one a reasonable cost.

I just downloaded a decibel meter on my phone and tested a fairly well used but still cutting good 14in Diablo 72T Steel Demon and a fresh sharpened ( had to peel wax off of teeth) 14in Evolution 66T blade on 1in x 1/8 angle. My results were 73db for the Diablo and 76db for the Evolution. Results from beside my ear and at arms length from the RH side were about the same. I have no idea the accuracy of my app or if there's differences in the characteristics of the sound that would be relevant to anything. Oscar might be able to figure it out with his equipment if it matters. Whatever I never found the saw that noisy anyway. A chart on the app places it between busy traffic/vacuum cleaner (70db) and loud music/alarm clock (80db). Diesel truck/lawn mower (90db), Concerts/screaming child/ mad wife :roll: 110db. So if you can cut your grass and vacuum your carpet without deafening yourself or driving your neighbors nuts you can have a dry cut saw!! :lol:
Appreciate the testing and feedback!

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I'll post up my results when I get my diablo blade. I have a decent suite of audio tools since I'm currently designing my own high-powered "studio monitors" where I've actually pioneered a new way to lower harmonic distortion in tweeters. Currently trying to see if I can sell my invention which costs almost nothing to implement but has a lot of benefits.

:)
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

:o
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

:D I will add my 2 cents here: I started out buying a Harbor Freight band saw, used it 1 day and brought it back for a refund. I then spent more $ and bought the Ellis 1600 band saw (vertical & horizontal capable). LOVE THIS TOOL! Worth the $. 6 months later bought an Everwood Plasma, sent it back soon after. Spent extra $ and bought the HyperTherm 65 Plasma. LOVE THIS TOOL! No regrets on the Miller, Ellis or HyperTherm. Pricey but worth the money and NO HEADACHES. They WORK when needed!! 8-)

Got new toys.

RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Please post your satisfaction with the drill bit set, I'm considering ordering one also. Are those masonry bits in your last pic? I will also be interested in your thoughts after using the circular blade.

RPat wrote:Please post your satisfaction with the drill bit set, I'm considering ordering one also. Are those masonry bits in your last pic? I will also be interested in your thoughts after using the circular blade.
The blade I can already tell you I love it, at least for cutting thin steel. The smoothness cutting 1/8" flat bar was right on the money. I'll check it on thicker stuff today. Yes, the last pic is if the masonry bits. I'll try out the drill bits today as well.
Nethergate
    Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 am

Hey guys, I’ve been looking into cutoff saws, already pretty sure I’d go a cold cutoff instead of abrasive, the only thing I haven’t ruled out is a drop bandsaw, does anyone have an opinion on them? The cold saw I’ve been looking at is $750aud and the metal band saw is only $500aud.

The only thing I’m unsure of is how long the bandsaw blade will last, replacement blades are comparable for both.

any advise would be appreciated

Thanks James

Bandsaw blade can last a super long time if you use coolant or at least stick wax lubricant.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Oscar wrote:Bandsaw blade can last a super long time if you use coolant or at least stick wax lubricant.
Yep and cheaper to replace. I really like the cold saw for quick smaller cuts...handrails, carts, that sorta thing. Bandsaw for me anyways is for thicker heavier chucks, any tubing over 1/8" wall thickness for instance. The cold saw is a lot faster. Bandsaw in my opinion a lot cheaper AFTER the initial cost of buying the saw especially

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I have a pretty nice sta-rite saw in my shop and going from memory I think I have replaced the blade twice since 2011. One replacement was when I allowed a friend of mine to bring a whole bunch of schedule 40 stainless steel tubing and cut it. I knew it did not stand a chance cutting all that tubing. I was right. The other blade was broken when I allowed my brother to cut steel angle. If you keep people that don't know what they're doing away from the machines, a bandsaw blade will live forever.
Nethergate

BugHunter wrote:I have a pretty nice sta-rite saw in my shop and going from memory I think I have replaced the blade twice since 2011. One replacement was when I allowed a friend of mine to bring a whole bunch of schedule 40 stainless steel tubing and cut it. I knew it did not stand a chance cutting all that tubing. I was right. The other blade was broken when I allowed my brother to cut steel angle. If you keep people that don't know what they're doing away from the machines, a bandsaw blade will live forever.
So a bandsaw isn’t for me haha. I’d love the bandsaw because it seems pretty versatile, it doesn’t run coolant though so that’s a bit of a downside.

This is the one I’m looking at

https://www.totaltools.com.au/100386-sa ... w-mcb115s2

It’s a bit bulky and as I run out of my garage that’s a bit of a problem, I might have to just go a cold saw. I’ll keep you updated with what I get.

DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Nethergate wrote:
BugHunter wrote:I have a pretty nice sta-rite saw in my shop and going from memory I think I have replaced the blade twice since 2011. One replacement was when I allowed a friend of mine to bring a whole bunch of schedule 40 stainless steel tubing and cut it. I knew it did not stand a chance cutting all that tubing. I was right. The other blade was broken when I allowed my brother to cut steel angle. If you keep people that don't know what they're doing away from the machines, a bandsaw blade will live forever.
So a bandsaw isn’t for me haha. I’d love the bandsaw because it seems pretty versatile, it doesn’t run coolant though so that’s a bit of a downside.

It’s a bit bulky and as I run out of my garage that’s a bit of a problem, I might have to just go a cold saw. I’ll keep you updated with what I get.

I have a horizontal bandsaw and wouldn’t trade it for a cold saw.
I might add a cold saw but there’s no substitute for a bandsaw when cutting thick stock.

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BugHunter

Nethergate wrote:So a bandsaw isn’t for me haha. I’d love the bandsaw because it seems pretty versatile, it doesn’t run coolant though so that’s a bit of a downside.

The one I have is pretty much I carbon copy of this. I have gang pulleys instead of the variable Drive type. The saw has five speeds with them. Otherwise it's pretty much this saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06UAF39xs2k
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

DavidR8 wrote:
Nethergate wrote:

I have a horizontal bandsaw and wouldn’t trade it for a cold saw.
I might add a cold saw but there’s no substitute for a bandsaw when cutting thick stock.

I agree with that, bandsaw first, there's hardly a limit to what you can cut with em. I added a cold saw because it seemed to be a lot faster on some smaller stock than a bandsaw. Its definitely a nice addition

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Nethergate

Ah sorry guys, I’ve gone against the pack, the bandsaw was just too big for me to keep anywhere, I’ve decided on this cold saw

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bosch-blue- ... l_p0078011

I’ve got to save a bit more but I’m looking toward to it

Thanks for the advice guys

TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Nethergate wrote:Ah sorry guys, I’ve gone against the pack, the bandsaw was just too big for me to keep anywhere, I’ve decided on this cold saw
I don't think it was a bad choice myself, so not against my pack... :lol:

I think there's a place for both of them, and a cold saw is pretty darn useful for weldments, IMO. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Nethergate

I finally picked up my cold saw, can’t wait to have a crack

Nethergate

I finally picked up my cold saw, can’t wait to have a crack

TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Nice!

I'm really liking mine. ;)

I still would like a Plasma, but the cold cutting saw was a better choice to get first, at least for me. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter

Nice! My favorite brand name.
Nethergate

Sooooo. Tried out my saw this morning, wow! It’s awesome, such a nice cut and it is so quick, i cut all the steel for my fixture table which I expects to take an hour, I was finished in 20 mins definitely my new favourite tool

BugHunter

Nethergate wrote:Sooooo. Tried out my saw this morning, wow! It’s awesome, such a nice cut and it is so quick, i cut all the steel for my fixture table which I expects to take an hour, I was finished in 20 mins definitely my new favourite tool

That's awesome. You've got me almost ready to buy one. On my wish list anyway. I have other saw options but nothing that really suits the purpose like these dry saws.
BugHunter

Looks like they're about $650us on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-GCD12JL- ... SwxbNdlL4h

The Bosch site had a good video showing how the adjustments are made, which I was interested in due to my bandsaw being a chore to swap from 90 to 45 and back.

https://www.bosch-pt.com.au/au/en/produ ... 0601B28040