Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:See, I already have the abrasive saw. :)
Check this talented guy out that didn't even have an abrasive saw. :D

Certainly mounting a slower motor on an abrasive saw is doable.

Also note, he used an Evo blade. About $100 in itself.

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yea I had seen that, but he obtained a slower RPM (1360) motor to begin with. Not quite the same, lol. I don't like that un-supported free-end though.
TraditionalToolworks

Got my Evo.

First thing I plan to use it for are the posts on welding cart I'm building, need to get my Primeweld off that Festool CT Mini... :D

I have the posts marked at a 1" drop for an 18" spread. I'll square up the bottoms and then cut the same angles on the top for all 4 posts. I think that will work. I haven't put the blade on yet, might not be able to get to it until Sat. I have some 6010 in the mail also, which I will be trying on the Primeweld. ;)

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Good luck! Let us know how you like it

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks

JayWal wrote:Good luck! Let us know how you like it
I will certainly update, but I know already that they are REALLY loud, and I haven't even plugged it in.

I want to mount it on my DeWalt miter saw stand, so would like to get a set of mounts that clip on to the stand. That would make it easy to setup outside my shop. Ironically the 2 loudest machines in my shop are my DeWalt miter saw and a small DeWalt porta-potty planer. This Evo will be right up there in loudness, I'm pretty sure.

I like to say when I turn the porta-potty planer on, all the animals in the neighborhood disappear for a 2 block radius, it's that loud. I don't think this Evo is that loud, but it's up there in loudness from what I have seen. The Fein Slugger is not as loud, but it doesn't have the miter pin stops. That's the main reason I bought the Evo, and that it has a Japanese blade.

I have some posts I will cut this weekend.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

What's a porta-potty planer Alan? My Delta isn't great, but I haven't resorted to name calling.
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:What's a porta-potty planer Alan? My Delta isn't great, but I haven't resorted to name calling.
A porta-potty is just a portable planer, any 12"-13" planer. I have a Yates-American 24" B-44 planer that I'll be putting into service when I get the new shop setup, but the porta-potty is handy...not light for it's size.

Mine is a 735, I don't use it without hearing protection. I think they should have a warning on the machine. It's that noisy. Even the ground hogs leave the area... :lol: But the DeWalt sliding miter saw is pretty loud also...those were some of the few machines I bought new...but the miter saw with the stand can be setup in about 2 minutes, it's really convenient. I've used it a lot in the past. I've even cut aluminum on it. This is the porta-potty.

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Does that one use straight blades? A friend of mine has a cabinetry shop with a 30" planer. When he fired that thing up I could hear it a mile away clearly,it was so darn loud. He lately upgraded to a 36" Delta that uses a spiral blade made of 3/4" wide or so individually replaceable blades. And that thing you can actually run without hearing protection, it's so quiet. Unbelievable difference.

Each time I see him use it I wish someone would make one for steel

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks

JayWal wrote:Does that one use straight blades?
The DeWalt does have straight blades, they are pretty thin so don't last very long like most all porta-potty planers.

My Yates American 24" has straight blades also, but the larger planers are typically not piercing loud like my DeWalt, which is on the ear piercing threshold type pain. My YA isn't very loud at all, 7-1/2HP direct drive motor.

suspect the Evo is about as loud as my DeWalt miter saw. IOW, don't run it after 10:00pm, even with the garage door shut, or the neighbors are gonna be screaming STFU from the top of their lungs out the window... . :lol:

That is one thing nice about bandsaws, both horizontal and portaband, running them in the garage with the door shut is no problem any time of the night. 8-)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

The sound level of the cold saws is the primary reason why I have never considered one. I have terrible tinnitus and find that even with high attenuation ear protection being around loud tools is tiring.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:The sound level of the cold saws is the primary reason why I have never considered one. I have terrible tinnitus and find that even with high attenuation ear protection being around loud tools is tiring.
I think it has something to do with these cheap single phase motors, they're just noisy...even so if you get a quieter 3 phase saw then it's usually big and heavy...pick your poison... :lol:

I have a Wilton 7x12, it's not bad. If you're looking for something quiet look for something like it or the Jet, which is a copy of it, I think Jet bought Wilton, not positive. Harbor Freight as a last resort, but I try to steer clear of the place myself. :P

If you can find a used saw on craigslist, that could be a good option...Carolina, Kalamazoo, Johnson, Dayton, Ellis if you're lucky, et al, most any are better than the HF. Also consider converting a small vertical wood bandsaw to metal by reducing with pulleys.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
DavidR8 wrote:The sound level of the cold saws is the primary reason why I have never considered one. I have terrible tinnitus and find that even with high attenuation ear protection being around loud tools is tiring.
I think it has something to do with these cheap single phase motors, they're just noisy...even so if you get a quieter 3 phase saw then it's usually big and heavy...pick your poison... :lol:

I have a Wilton 7x12, it's not bad. If you're looking for something quiet looks for something like it or the Jet, which is a copy of it, I think Jet bought Wilton, not positive. Harbor Freight as a last resort, but I try to steer clear of the place myself. :P
Yup my 1965 Unisaw is dead quiet. The universal motors are just plain loud... my 12" Ridgid compound mitre saw is pretty loud. Loudest is my Porter Cable 690 router which is ear splitting loud and high pitched.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Yup my 1965 Unisaw is dead quiet. The universal motors are just plain loud... my 12" Ridgid compound mitre saw is pretty loud. Loudest is my Porter Cable 690 router which is ear splitting loud and high pitched.
David,

Actually pleasantly surprised, not nearly as loud as I was expecting and I think the reason is that these cold cutting saws only spin at 1450 RPM, where the high speed wood saws spin at 3450 RPM, and there is the crux of where so much of the noise comes from, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it's not entirely quiet, but I can use this without hearing protection and not feel pain as I do when the DeWalt porta-potty planer or even the DeWalt sliding miter when running.

This will be a huge asset in my shop. Don't know if I would recommend this to you, given your sensitive condition, but even if you had to wear ear muffs it will save you time over the bandsaw, IMO. I'll let you know for sure after I get these beveled and welded up on my stand, but I got 90 degree squares on the bottom and angled on top which I think will work for the top.

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Looks like a nice clean cut.
Glad to hear it’s not terribly loud. I might consider one if I can find one a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

DavidR8 wrote:Looks like a nice clean cut.
Glad to hear it’s not terribly loud. I might consider one if I can find one a reasonable cost.
It's been some time since i have used the 66 tooth Evolution blade that comes with the saw but I am convinced the 72 tooth Diablo Steel demon blade is quieter or at least not as shrill. Without some way of measuring the sound I can't prove it. The Evolution is basically a bare steel blade with a bit of lettering while the Diablo has a complete red coating that my sharpening guy says is actually functional in that it dampens any resonance in the blade to make it quieter. Perhaps someone with a decibell meter could check that out? ;)

TraditionalToolworks

homeboy wrote:[Perhaps someone with a decibell meter could check that out? ;)
I've love to get a Diablo Steel Demon, but will need to work on wearing this one out that came with the saw first.

Unfortunately I don't have a decibel meter, that might be something Oscar would have though. :D

I am serious that it's way quieter than I expected. I don't think it's bad at all. It does toss a fair amount of small chips though, but they're small blue chips, so it somehow is able to draw the heat out as it cuts as the material stays cool but the chips look hot if you go by color. :?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

TraditionalToolworks wrote: Unfortunately I don't have a decibel meter
There’s an app for that. :)

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:There’s an app for that. :)
Nice, I just installed it. I'll try to get a reading for you on the Evo, maybe that will give you an idea how loud it is. I seem to remember a guy testing that on the Primeweld vs. the Lincoln SW200, and the SW200 was louder. I was kind of surprised as the Primeweld is not a quiet machine, IMO, but no welders really are.

EDIT: my workstation for my job is between 50-60 db. And turning it off, only having the fan running and my laptop and desktop drops it to about 45-47 db. Turning the fan off it drops down to 37-38 db. I would say 45-47 is fine in this heat! ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

I have a few dB meters for tuning my stereo system.
I'll soon have a diablo blade for my Evo Rage 2 saw. Mine is still pretty loud, but I always wear hearing protection, minimum ear plugs (3M), but also at times earplugs+ harbor freight earmuffs. Usually with that nothing gets past, except perhaps very deep bass coming from my ~3kW stereo in my garage. Also, my blade is the stock 36-tooth multi-purpose blade so I'm pretty sure there are others that are much better.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:I have a few dB meters for tuning my stereo system.
I'll soon have a diablo blade for my Evo Rage 2 saw. Mine is still pretty loud, but I always wear hearing protection, minimum ear plugs, but also at times earplugs+earmuffs. Also, my blade is the stock 36-tooth multi-purpose blade so I'm pretty sure there are others that are much better.
I'll try to get numbers on my Evo S280CPS tomorrow, it's getting too late to run it although it's 9:30, my wife wouldn't be happy if I go out and run it outside.

Do you own a wood cutting high speed miter saw? Mine is way noisier. :(
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

No wood cutting saw here. I use my Evo Rage 2 for wood cutting.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:No wood cutting saw here. I use my Evo Rage 2 for wood cutting.
Is the Evo Rage a slow RPM saw (i.e., 1450 RPM)?

That's what I was trying to compare, most wood cutting miter saws are 3450 RPM.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Yes because it is also purposed to cut metal as well.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Oscar wrote:I have a few dB meters for tuning my stereo system.
I'll soon have a diablo blade for my Evo Rage 2 saw. Mine is still pretty loud, but I always wear hearing protection, minimum ear plugs (3M), but also at times earplugs+ harbor freight earmuffs. Usually with that nothing gets past, except perhaps very deep bass coming from my ~3kW stereo in my garage. Also, my blade is the stock 36-tooth multi-purpose blade so I'm pretty sure there are others that are much better.
Really looking forward to your report on the diablo vs stock blade on your Rage 2!!! :mrgreen:
TraditionalToolworks

This is not really an Evo thread, but someone was mentioning building a table or stand for their Evo, and I did see this stand that looks to be designed to hold the Evo S380CPS and all the other metal cutting saws.

(linky pic)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan