Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Can any of you recommend some decent and friendly (Like WTAT :D ) machining forums? There seems to be a lot of machinist forums, and many seem either a bit unfriendly, or more geared towards machining pros...like the big-guy pros.

Thanks for any pointers.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

DavidR8 and I are on Hobby Machinist. Can't say I'm crazy about it, but it seems nice.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Spartan wrote:Can any of you recommend some decent and friendly (Like WTAT :D ) machining forums? There seems to be a lot of machinist forums, and many seem either a bit unfriendly, or more geared towards machining pros...like the big-guy pros.

Thanks for any pointers.
Unfortunately you don't have a lot of options. The best machinist forum is Practical Machinist, but you can't discuss your machine by name as it's a "hobby grade" import. You can use the forum, just not mention your machine names specific, so any questions you present need to be discussed in a general lathe or mill context. The real unfortunate thing about Practical Machinist is, it's not friendly. Go mention your machine names specific and see what type of response you get! :lol: Either your lathe or mill. ;) They hate Grizzly and any type of import unless it's industrial for a production metalworking shop.

Tony from the UK lathe site create the Hobby Machinist forum because of the situation at Practical Machinist. There was a real POS named Nelson, hobby watchmaker in NY, who ran it and me and him detest each other, so I wouldn't recommend that site either. Chaski has been around before Practical Machinist, it's not too bad, but Harold the Grandmother that runs that site is not on my holiday list...the only other real site is Homeshop Machinist. That's the one I would recommend for you, but keep in mind that there was a moderator there that was not to my liking, I haven't been there for years. I don't got for heavy moderation or censorship in any way, so that's why I don't like some of those sites.

I don't use Practical Machinist anymore as it's a pretty hostile environment, akin to the same level of @$$#O!E-ness as Welding Web. These days YT and InstaGram are changing the way machinists use online forums, but it's a mixed bag also. I would recommend following oxtools, robrenz, abom79, keith fenner, et al. There is really no better machinist than Robin Renzetti on both YT and InstaGram.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

There are probably more machinists here than you may think - not sure how many are still active but it's worth posting any questions you have here - although primarily a welding forum all aspects of metal work can be discussed freely without too much prejudice ! - I would think by the nature of most true " machinists " they don't play well with others !
Spartan

Thanks for the pointers, guys! I'll check those out for sure, and also avoid Practical Machinist, which was the impression I sort of got when I took a look at that site earlier this week. I'm sure I'll also be posting machining questions here as well.

Thanks again.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

There's no harm in trying any of the forums - not been on them myself so can't vouch for their attitudes - I would say don't rule them out based on 1members dislikes here - I got no issue with him but he seems to clash heads with 1 or 2 here - probably not a personal thing - just hard to judge peoples meaning at times from written replies - not like speaking in person.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I’ll chime in here.
I’ve been on Hobby-Machinist.com and find it to be the most helpful and friendly forum I’ve ever been on.

I’m also a member of Chaski, Practical Machinist and the rest of them. Other than the South Bend sub-forum, I don’t frequent Practical Machinist. The others I frequent occasionally but H-M is my primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

My 0.02 c, subscribe to Practical Machinist forum for the info you can get off it, it's gold. They aren't a bunch of ogres, it's just some of them don't suffer fools gladly ....................which is no bad thing. ;)

And their fabrication / welding section is well worth following as well.

This is another interesting site ; https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

kiwi2wheels wrote: This is another interesting site ; https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
I follow this forum, lots of activity and some good info as well
Richard
Website
DavidR8

kiwi2wheels wrote:My 0.02 c, subscribe to Practical Machinist forum for the info you can get off it, it's gold. They aren't a bunch of ogres, it's just some of them don't suffer fools gladly ....................which is no bad thing. ;)

And their fabrication / welding section is well worth following as well.

This is another interesting site ; https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
The Garage Journal has consumed much of my time. In a good way :)
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Spartan wrote:Can any of you recommend some decent and friendly (Like WTAT :D ) machining forums? There seems to be a lot of machinist forums, and many seem either a bit unfriendly, or more geared towards machining pros...like the big-guy pros.

Thanks for any pointers.
What sort of information are you looking for? What types of machines are you using that you want help with?
Spartan

BugHunter wrote:

Thanks for any pointers.
What sort of information are you looking for? What types of machines are you using that you want help with?
It was just for general chatting and info for both lathe and mill work. Haven't yet signed up with any of them, but will probably join hobby machinist as recommended here.
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:will probably join hobby machinist as recommended here.
You mean, recommended by some. :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Timberjack
    Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

I used to go to ( Metalworking Fun ) forum ,good friendly people . havent been there in awhile ,i forgot my passsword. to much to try remembering these days.
BugHunter

Spartan wrote:It was just for general chatting and info for both lathe and mill work. Haven't yet signed up with any of them, but will probably join hobby machinist as recommended here.
Well if you have never laid eyes Upon A Mill or a lathe, it's possible I might be able to answer some basic questions. :D. I'm No Authority on Machining but I've done enough of it to be dangerous.
TraditionalToolworks

BugHunter wrote:Well if you have never laid eyes Upon A Mill or a lathe, it's possible I might be able to answer some basic questions. :D. I'm No Authority on Machining but I've done enough of it to be dangerous.
Seems to me that most welders are pretty decent fabricators and often a mill and lathe are required for that type of work.

Like welding it requires a fair amount of scrapping parts and starting over. :lol:

Might not be the best way to learn, but it sure is easier to remember when you go that route! :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter

Anytime you make one-off pieces you're going to make mistakes. Unfortunately that's about all I ever make when it comes to the Mills and lathes. I only have them for maintenance and Fabrication, I don't do any production work on them. If I never again machine another part for hire, it will be too soon.

Today I was making some aluminum frames with security mesh in them for some Foundry or forging outfit, they wanted some splash screens in stainless steel. I took pictures and was going to post it in the what I welded today thread, but they were all crappy photos because my phone is a piece of junk. And since they were already boxed for shipment, that was the end of that. Was a shame because the welds were beautiful. Lol
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I can attest to some of the finished product that buggy puts out. Nice work and totally amazed me.
Buggy, should you get some off the wall project, let me know in advance and it will be a road trip for me.
BugHunter

I'll keep that in mind Bill. Mostly right now I'm just trying to stay ahead of customer orders, not much fun at work.
av8or1

Yeah, just as an FWIW Spartan, I couldn't recommend practical machinist either. For the reasons others have stated; I won't repeat. Hobby machinist is a great forum though and has my recommendation. I realize that I'm responding a bit after-the-fact, but ... hope it helps.
DavidR8

av8or1 wrote:Yeah, just as an FWIW Spartan, I couldn't recommend practical machinist either. For the reasons others have stated; I won't repeat. Hobby machinist is a great forum though and has my recommendation. I realize that I'm responding a bit after-the-fact, but ... hope it helps.
Do you use the same handle on Hobby-Machinst?
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Practical Machinist is horrible. It's like a lunatic asylum where the patients have valuable information you may be able to pry out of them by humoring them. Get in, ask your question, pretend you don't see the insults, thank them, and get out. Lots of jerks and bullies. People defend them because there are so many knowledgeable individuals on the forum. Still jerks and bullies.

I quit using Chaski a few months back. There are a few jerky and condescending people there, and one day I realized I didn't want to deal with them any more, and that's sad, because there are also some very nice, very skilled members.

Home Shop Machinist is about like Chaski.

I like Hobby Machinist because the mods stomp jerks fast.

CNCZone is full of people I would describe as "high-functioning" but not normal. Heavily tilted toward young people who know a lot about CNC but not a great deal about machining or social skills.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
DavidR8

Chips O'Toole wrote:Practical Machinist is horrible. It's like a lunatic asylum where the patients have valuable information you may be able to pry out of them by humoring them. Get in, ask your question, pretend you don't see the insults, thank them, and get out. Lots of jerks and bullies. People defend them because there are so many knowledgeable individuals on the forum. Still jerks and bullies.

I quit using Chaski a few months back. There are a few jerky and condescending people there, and one day I realized I didn't want to deal with them any more, and that's sad, because there are also some very nice, very skilled members.

Home Shop Machinist is about like Chaski.

I like Hobby Machinist because the mods stomp jerks fast.

CNCZone is full of people I would describe as "high-functioning" but not normal. Heavily tilted toward young people who know a lot about CNC but not a great deal about machining or social skills.
Your description is hilariously accurate. Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Spartan wrote:Thanks for the pointers, guys! I'll check those out for sure, and also avoid Practical Machinist, which was the impression I sort of got when I took a look at that site earlier this week. I'm sure I'll also be posting machining questions here as well.

Thanks again.
I don't know if avoiding Practical Machinist is necessary, just know what you'll probably experience there. I've been a member there for years (along with the Garage Journal and many other forums) but rarely post, and do so carefully.

The first key is to do a search and really make an effort to see if your question has already been answered....good chance it has. I recently ran into a massively frustrating problem getting my new variable frequency drive to run the motor on my Bridgeport and shockingly, found a thread to a very specific, oddball error in the settings on my drive. I read the thread, realized it was the same problem I was seeing, made one change and I was up and running 100% in a few minutes. I also took the time to reply to that thread thanking the folks who provided the answer even though I wasn't the OP.

The second thing I do when I post is mention that I've searched without success, admit I'm a novice and try to very carefully explain my question. So far I've gotten really helpful answers and zero BS that I can recall. The guys there largely don't seem to mind helping, but they want to know you've tried to help yourself, and that you're trying to give them enough information so they can provide an educated reply.

The guys on PM really helped me get both my bandsaw and milling machine up and running quickly, so I'm okay with overlooking a little bit of BS if it pops up.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

G-ManBart wrote:
I don't know if avoiding Practical Machinist is necessary, just know what you'll probably experience there. I've been a member there for years (along with the Garage Journal and many other forums) but rarely post, and do so carefully.

The first key is to do a search and really make an effort to see if your question has already been answered....good chance it has. I recently ran into a massively frustrating problem getting my new variable frequency drive to run the motor on my Bridgeport and shockingly, found a thread to a very specific, oddball error in the settings on my drive. I read the thread, realized it was the same problem I was seeing, made one change and I was up and running 100% in a few minutes. I also took the time to reply to that thread thanking the folks who provided the answer even though I wasn't the OP.

The second thing I do when I post is mention that I've searched without success, admit I'm a novice and try to very carefully explain my question. So far I've gotten really helpful answers and zero BS that I can recall. The guys there largely don't seem to mind helping, but they want to know you've tried to help yourself, and that you're trying to give them enough information so they can provide an educated reply.

The guys on PM really helped me get both my bandsaw and milling machine up and running quickly, so I'm okay with overlooking a little bit of BS if it pops up.
+ 1